iTunes UK pricing falls

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SpaceMagic, Jan 9, 2008.

1. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

2. thomasp macrumors 6502a

3. madofrain macrumors member

madofrain

about time..

We can thank EU regulators for that..Nobody here in the UK would have complained, we're so used to being ripped off and over taxed..

Its not like they have any real competition at the moment either..Every service I've tried with the excpetion of Emusic has turned me away for being a mac user...Amazon is US only, so for online purchases your options for mainstream music are pretty limited...

If they're reducing individual tracks what are they charging for albums?

Sorry to sound glass half empty, but in Europe you do feel like your being thrown a bone when US customers are at the feast.

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Although Apple are also saying that they are pursuing the record companies who charge more for UK tracks and will look at their relationships with them if they don't bring their prices in line.

I wonder if the record companies who aren't so keen on being in bed with Apple, will use this as an excuse to get out of their contracts so we in the UK might end up with less choice on the UK iTMS.

And what are they going to do with the fluctuating exchange rates? Are we going to pay 66p one month, 69p another month or what? :p

5. ClaphamChris macrumors regular

Yep, while obviously it's nice to see a price drop, it's also pretty inevitable, I think, that a number of labels will withdraw, saying it's not commercially viable at that price for the UK market.

Feel a little for Apple here - they tried from the outset to keep the pricing flat but the labels drove a hard bargain which was the price of dancing with the devil, I guess. Apple can't subsidise the UK market, as that would probably fall foul of the EU too.

Universal the first to come off the UK store, anyone?

6. abrooks macrumors 6502a

Can't see it happening, this is the EU making this ruling not Apple. Nobody argues with the EU and the music companies would be stupid to pull out of iTunes.

7. 210 macrumors regular

iTunes

The music labels will be shooting themselves in the foot if they withdraw. As madofrain said, if you're a Mac user, there isn't much choice on where to go. More options with Windows, but most people have an iPod and know about iTunes than use another store. If they withdraw, I can imagine most people won't buy from another store that won't be compatible with their iPod and CD is too much, so they'll go to file-sharing instead.

If the music labels have any sense, they'll realise that some money is better than none.

8. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

I don't think any breakdowns are published but I would be surprised if the UK store didn't have some of the highest sales among the various EU iTSs even with the higher prices. I don't think we'll see withdrawals.

9. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

EMI, Sony BMG, Universal Music and Warner Music were also investigated by the EU on this matter, so I'm sure they are well aware that they will have to go with this price drop on iTunes UK.