iTunes - Unknown Artist Folder - How Do I...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by T1NOESCOBAR, Apr 8, 2009.

1. T1NOESCOBAR macrumors newbie

Hi,

So I have a folder of Unknown artists, with about 1,287 songs in there.

About a few years ago, I had ripped some CD's into my iTunes, and after I reformatted, some of those CD's came up "missing", in the "Unknown Artists" folder...

So here I am, trying to find my music. I see the names, they all have titles, however, it would be a tedious task to go through and manually label each one with the proper artist.

So, is there any software, plugin, or anyway to go about doing this quickly, and efficiently?

Thanks,

Corey

2. suprdave1 macrumors newbie

are you saying that the songs show up in itunes but then when you try to play it, it says it can't find the file?

If so, just delete all those from the itunes library without deleting the actual file, then drag from the folder into the itunes window and it should re-add them and know where the file is, then.

however, if you're saying the artist field is empty in itunes, then the tag must not exist for that file, and there's no way for itunes to know what it is. you could re-rip the cd's (while connected to the internet to make sure it grabs all the appropriate info tags for the songs from the gracenote cddb) and everything would then be correct.

otherwise i guess you have to know which artist sings which songs and manually enter the artist name. if you know a particular artist sings a certain chunk of songs then you can select all those songs at once, then select get info and enter the artist name one time and it will apply it to all those songs. that would at least make the process go a little faster.