iTunes unlocked iPhone 4 problem (locking?)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Infinitygraphix, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Infinitygraphix macrumors member

Hi,

Long story short, I gave my old iPhone 4 to my girlfriend.
    My iPhone 4 was a Rogers lock phone in Canada.
    Called Rogers and have it unlocked (50 $)
    Restore in iTunes and got he message « Congratulation, your iPhone is now unlock.»
    Put the Telus sim card in and it works fine.

Now, my girlfriend doesn't want to pay for data and want to use it as a phone only (connecting only to Wifi).

So I want to disable « cellular data » (in setting -> general -> « cellular data » (might not be exactly like it is written, my iphone is in French)

If I do so, I lose my Telus phone connection completely... and if I turn it back, it doesn't want to connect to the Telus network anymore.

Also, in setting -> information (or about ?) it says the operator is Telus, that network is Telus.

If I go to setting -> operator, it is set up to « automatic ». If I turn automatic off, I only see.. ROGERS ! Turning back to automatic doesn't resolve the problem.

I need to restore throught iTunes (re-unlocking it) to get it on the Telus network.

(I tried to turn off cell data on my iPhone 5 and I do not lose the network connection for phone call)

So basically, once the phone is unlock, connecting to the Telus network, how do I go so that she doesn't use any data if she is not on WIFI, but still can use the phone as a phone ?

Thanks for any help !

2. ProudLoz macrumors regular

Try to find the right APN settings for the Telus network, and then disable the cellular data setting.

3. Infinitygraphix thread starter macrumors member

Where would I find the APN on the iPhone ?
    Since I have a Telus iPhone5, it should be easy to find it on the iPhone 5 and then set the same setting on the iPhone 4 ?

----------

Ok, I google it and APN would be in setting -> general -> Cellular Data -> Cellular Data Network

APN would be in French « Nom du point d'accès » witch would be logical.

the setting I have is « isp.telus.com »

They are the same on my iPhone5 and my unlock iPhone 4...

4. ProudLoz macrumors regular

Alright, so I did a little more digging for you, and it looks like this might be an issue with the fact that the iPhone 4, may not be able to support Telus's network.

Here is a good informative post on Howardforums that will help you pick the right APN settings for Telus.

Now, by looking at that thread, it looks like the iPhone 4 will only be able to connect to Telus via the HSDPA 850 and 1900 band. Meaning, that if your area has not been refarmed with the new HSDPA 850 and 1900 bands, the iPhone 4 will not connect to the internet (and voice) at all.

Normally, that shouldn't be an issue, you should just fall back to say, 2G or GSPR, but the problem is that Telus was primarily a CDMA network if I'm reading the Wikipedia page right, and it recently switch to HSPA+. Meaning, that if there is no HSDPA 850 or 1900 bands in your area, the iPhone 4 has nothing to fall back on to connect.

This is just my assumption based on a little bit of research. I'm not 100% sure since I'm not from Canada but it looks like your Rogers iPhone 4 (mainly being a GSM phone) is not compatible with Telus's legacy (CDMA) network.

5. Infinitygraphix thread starter macrumors member

I will go read on the Howard forum link you provide, but it do work on Telus. iT is woking right now.

The only thing I want is to be able to BLOCK DATA, and data only.

However, actually, if I block data, by turning it off in setting -> general -> Cellular Network -> Cellular data (where it says that it will block all data and limit data to be use only with WI-FI, what I want, this is where the iPhone lose its connection to the Telus network and we are no able to make call anymore.

And when the phone is in that situation, there is no way to bring it back to the Telus network other than restore it, unlocking it again in iTunes.

So I'm just looking for a way to turn data off, but not the phone signal.

The phone is compatible with Telus network, confirm with Telus, and I have it working on Telus.

6. ProudLoz macrumors regular

I'm getting some mixed results online, but the best I could come up with is for you to go here,

http://www.unlockit.co.nz

and try some of their APN profiles. The goal here is for you to restore the phone so you can get voice service, and then install a Telus profile from that site that'll disable the Data network by being "wrong". This should work, and you should get the results you want.

Another thing I came upon was for your girlfriend to call Telus and have them block the data part of her plan. She can always call back to get it reinstated if she ever changes her mind.

7. Infinitygraphix thread starter macrumors member

My girlfriend will call Telus to block the data. It's the simpliest way.

Thanks

8. Jonica&Jr07 macrumors newbie

I tried to put my password in when I was in the App Store downloading a game and it says my password isn't correct so I reset it and it still won't let me

----------

Someone PLEASE help me b4 I lose it

----------

I have a iPhone 4 and I put in my password for the App Store and it is saying its incorrect so I reset it and its still NOT WORKING help me resolve my issue please

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Contact Apple.