iTunes Unresponsive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by evanrousso, Jun 13, 2011.

1. evanrousso macrumors 6502

I am using iTunes 10.3.1 on a Windows 7 machine.

For the past month or two (even before getting 10.3.1) iTunes has been terribly unresponsive. It freezes in hangs whenever I use it. There is a 2 minute freeze even when I simply select a song to play. It is pretty much unusable.

I am not having issues with any other software on my machine.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, and I have tried rebuilding my library. Neither worked.

My machine has a 2.5 i5 processor and 6gb of RAM, and I pretty much use it as an internet and music machine. So there really should be enough resources for iTunes to do its thing without freezing.

Is anyone else having this problem? Any advice?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. evanrousso thread starter macrumors 6502

Can anybody help here? I feel like I have tried everything!

I booted Windows 7 in safe mode and everything worked fine while in Safe Mode, does that mean anything?

3. dgbowers macrumors member

dgbowers

4. evanrousso thread starter macrumors 6502

I have never had any problems until 10.3.1

5. dgbowers macrumors member

dgbowers

I'm shocked and appalled. Consider yourself lucky good sir. Every single windows user I know hates iTunes because it runs crappy on their PeeCees.

6. dgbowers macrumors member

dgbowers

(back on track now) As far as troubleshooting goes, have you tried reinstalling it?

7. evanrousso thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, I have uninstalled and reinstalled a few times. I even did a clean window install because I thought I had a virus. I have also tried rebuilding the library.

Literally, if I want to make a playlist, I have to log into safe mode.

Everything I tell itunes to do comes with at least a 30-60 second hang before it responds. It's crazy.

8. dgbowers macrumors member

dgbowers

When you reinstall iTunes, are you reinstalling it from the same downloaded file? Or have you redownloaded and reinstalled?

9. evanrousso thread starter macrumors 6502

I completely redownload it, and it's the 64bit version, I didn't mention that.

10. T40Green macrumors newbie

I'm new to Apple too - but an expert with PCs - and iTunes for Windows is the worst PC application I've seen in years. It's shameful, how poorly it works. Apple needs to mature up a bit, and make iTunes for Windows behave as good as the rest of the software typically produced for PCs.

If Apple continues making crappy software like iTunes, Apple, as it expands, will soon replace Microsoft as the company everyone likes to criticize.

Apple won't get a buy from ex-PC users - they've simply come to expect reliability and quality to their software that Apple (at least from my expericence with iTunes for Windows) simply isn't providing today.

Good luck Apple - the future is yours to blow.