iTunes Upgrade Problems.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Rory Manton, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Rory Manton macrumors regular

Rory Manton

Since upgrading to iTunes 7.7 all I get when I plug my iPod Classic in is the spinning rainbow thingy. What have I done now to cause me this problem and can anybody offer a solution.

Thanks in advance

Rory

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Check your Activity Monitor after you plug in your Classic - odds are one of the helper applications for iTunes (iTunes Helper or iPod Service) is not responding.

Once you figure out which one it is, make a note of its PID, then issue this command at a Terminal prompt to restart it:

Code:
    kill -HUP [PID]
    Where [PID] is the number you made a note of earlier.

3. Rory Manton thread starter macrumors regular

Rory Manton

Thanks for that I perhaps forgot to mention that I am a complete numpty when it comes to computers so I need talking through each and every action.

I have found an activity monitor, but I have lost it again so please , if you have the inclination and time, could you emplane your suggestion clearer for me?

Thanks.

Rory

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Sure.

You'll find Activity Monitor in the Utilities folder, which is inside the Applications folder. After you start it, you'll see a list of stuff running on the system. Look for applications highlighted in red - these are the ones that aren't responding. There's a PID column for each application - this contains the number you need.

Terminal is also in the Utilities folder. After launching it, type the command I gave you, substituting the number you made a note of for [PID], then press Return to execute it. Quit Terminal when the prompt comes back.

5. kkingnia macrumors newbie

Ft Madison, Iowa on the Mississippi River
    Problems with iTunes 7.7?

Since upgrading to 7.7 both my 1st Gen and 2nd Generation ipod Shuffles don't work. All I get is blinking orange and green lights. I think its an iTunes problem and so do some others. Don't know but it may be the same with your Classic. If you do find a fix, please let us know.

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Are your iPods shuffles, by any chance? You're not the only one with this issue. Look here.

7. Rory Manton thread starter macrumors regular

Rory Manton

Ok, done all that with no effect, thanks for the help but still not cured.

I did have the smart idea (well it is for me!) of dumping 7.7 and reloading the older version, which I did. Unfortunately the older version can't access my music library because it was "made" by a newer version.

Why don't companies leave a working system alone and stop messing about with things?

Thanks again.

Just been fiddling again and as long as i enter terminal and enter the kill code it will let me in!

8. kkingnia macrumors newbie

My Shuffles are bricked!

Yes, my ipods are 1st and 2nd Generation Shuffles.
    I've read a lot of posts about this and followed Apple's suggestion of downloading and running the Ipod Reset Utility.app. After running that utility on my 1st Generation Shuffle I gave it nearly an hour to reset itself and it never did. I ended up quitting iTunes and still that ipod doesn't work!

9. muldul macrumors 6502

i have been having similar problems, but with my ipod touch, all that happens when i connect it is the spinning rainbow and then i have to force quit because it gets stuck. i hope they release an update soon

10. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Same problem here - though after force quitting once it worked just fine.

11. Rory Manton thread starter macrumors regular

Rory Manton

Ok , update on the problem.

I have found that by opening itunes first then plugging in the ipod and then ejecting the ipod from the main screen (NOT the itunes screen) the ipod will be recognised.

Long winded compared to plug and go but it works. Probably ( hopefully) somebody here will improve on this.

I AM A MAC GOD:D

Probably not.:rolleyes:

12. kkingnia macrumors newbie

Problem fixed!

iPod Reset Utility.app did fix my problem and both of my Shuffles are working!
    If you have a Shuffle check out
    http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=search&src=support_site.home&q=iPod Reset Utility.app
    My only complaint was that the Shuffle was supposed to restart and I didn't see any change after several minutes and so quit iTunes then restarted it and the Shuffle showed up blank and empty. I chose to uncheck the box which would have selected songs randomly to refill the Shuffle and choose which podcasts and audio books I wanted on it.