iTunes USB external drive relocation question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 2010mini, Jul 5, 2014.

1. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Hello all,

currently my iTunes files are stored on a USB drive attached to my Mini. I would like to move move this drive and attach it to my WD mycloud's USB port thereby making it accessible on my network for my wife's MBP. She used to have an account on my Mini and her photo library is still stored there.

I tried moving her photo library to the Mycloud. But it is very slow displaying over 100gb of photos and videos. I briefly attached the USB external to the my cloud and pointed her iPhoto there and it worked much faster. I am thinking its because this drive is by my mac.

anyways, my real question is how do I point my iTunes back to the USB drive when i attach it to my network?

2. westrock2000 macrumors 6502

Depending on how it's mounted (from a software perspective) on your Mini you may not have to do anything.

Usually all your drives are mounted under /Volumes

So for example if your original USB drive was called "Music", you could open a terminal and you can cd to /Volumes/Music and likewise if you click "Get Info" on a song, that's what you should see for the file location.

If you remove the drive from your computer, and can get OSX to mount that drive as a share called Music, you would again end up with /Volumes/Music and when iTunes goes to that path it would go out to the network.

The other option is to move your harddrive and get it mounted to whatever it ends up as. It may now be something like /Volumes/MyCloud/Music. Make a backup copy of "iTunes Music Library.xml" Completely close iTunes. Then open that file and using a decent text editor do a "search and replace" and change every instance of /Volumes/Music/Great Singer/Great Song.m4a to/Volumes/MyCloud/Music/Great Singer/Great Song.m4a.

so search for /Volumes/Music and replace with /Volumes/MyCloud/Music (that exact path is just an example!)

Save it as iTunes Music Library.xml and reopen iTunes and try to play a song.