itunes using 1 library on PC and MAC

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GregD, Dec 18, 2007.

1. GregD macrumors member

Hi,

I have a pc and mac both with itunes... all the files are on the pc.

Ive managed to copy the XML and artwork to my mac... mounted a volume to point to the pc.

But I had to change all the file paths in the XML file because obviously the files aren't on the Mac... and F:/ won't point to anywhere!

Is there a way around this so I can sync both platforms to 1 library?

Many Thanks :)

2. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

Assuming the PC and Mac are on the same network, what's wrong with turning on sharing within the iTunes prefs?

3. GregD thread starter macrumors member

Unfortunately Coverflow won't work with this (I have no idea why)... thus my reason for long way of doing things.. Im hoping there is another way.

4. macinfojunkie macrumors regular

macinfojunkie

I'm not sure you are actually going to be able to share the physical library files due to the OS/file system differences, but I would doubt that would work.

Store your music files on a NAS and import the files into both PC and Mac itunes libraries. Deselect the options to keep the library organised and to copy files added to the library.

5. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

I assume it's because iTunes doesn't imbed artwork found with it's artwork finder into the file but in a separate database. You'd think they'd have that working with cover flow while sharing. You could use this applescript to imbed the artwork.

6. GregD thread starter macrumors member

How would that work? Do the files have to be on the mac?