iTunes V.S. Amazon for music

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by rican, Nov 24, 2011.

?

iTunes or Amazon ?

Poll closed Dec 14, 2011.
  1. iTunes

14 vote(s)
    45.2%
  2. Amazon

11 vote(s)
    35.5%
  3. Other/Pirate

6 vote(s)
    19.4%
  1. rican macrumors 6502

rican

I was going through some threads and I noticed that a lot of people have their discrepancies about buying via iTunes or Amazon...

Which do you use and why? Is there a difference between sound quality / music quality or just the price? Elaborate.

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

iTunes for me because Amazon only seems to work in the US.

3. iDuel macrumors 6502a

iDuel

iTunes just because of the iCloud integration. Amazon is cheaper though.

4. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I use Amazon because they are cheaper. I started using them back when iTunes still had DRM and lower quality and I have been using them ever since. Their download app integrates with iTunes on my system, so it's easy to use.

5. rican thread starter macrumors 6502

rican

But in terms of music quality which one is best? CDs from the store, iTunes or Amazon?

6. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

CDs are going to have better quality than any digital form except for the lossless formats such as FLAC. Initially, iTunes music as DRM locked and at 128kbit/s, but a couple of years ago they finally removed all DRM and offered everything at 256k. Amazon is also at 256k and DRM free. I'm not sure where you can buy lossless music digitally, but I'm sure there are plenty of places.

Personally, I could tell the difference between 128 and 256k, but my hearing isn't good enough to tell the difference between 256k and higher rips.

7. rican thread starter macrumors 6502

rican

This clarifies a lot, because now I will buy entire albums in-store. I like high-quality music because I listen to it loudly, and have powerful speakers in car, and at home. (not the earphones, not trying to damage my hearing) but I do enjoy music loudly in an open space.

I wonder why iTunes isn't the superior in quality, which I originally thought.

8. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Both! Whichever has the better price on what I want.

9. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I do all three. iTunes, amazon and cd's. I tend to buy mainly cd's though

10. thenaes macrumors member

When I buy digitally, I usually go with Amazon. Almost always they have a cheaper price. I still like CDs too - and when I buy those I buy on Amazon always.

iTunes does discount some albums here and there, but it seems rather rare.

11. acidfast7 macrumors 65816

acidfast7

iTunes mostly.

kat.ph if iTunes doesn't offer it.

12. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Depends where is cheapest. I'd say ½ and ½. They both integrate well with iTunes so I have no issue. I also buy a lot of stuff on CD though.

13. ender land macrumors 6502a

I like buying physical CDs. I'd say I get about 50% of my music off Amazon and 50% at concerts.

14. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I use iTunes because it arguably has the best selection, and because I am entrenched in the Apple ecosystem. Therefore it's easy for me.

15. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I buy most of my stuff from Amazon....it's usually cheaper, and I seem to always have a lot of mp3 credits for some reason.

16. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I use a combo of both stores - I always check Amazon first, because usually they're cheaper.

For cloud-ased music storage, if I used it I'd use iTunes Match. Amazon Cloud Player is nice, but the main gripe is I either buy all my music all over again through Amazon or I spend hours upon hours uploading.

17. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I always preferred iTunes. Every time I would hear people say that Amazon was cheaper, I would check there for the song that I was looking for and saw it listed there for the same price that iTunes had, so I ended up buying in iTunes.

iTunes has as of November 1, disabled my account and will not allow me to create another so now I have no choice but to buy music and video from Amazon.

18. Kendo macrumors 68000

Amazon can be cheaper at times but the only tunes I've downloaded off of them are due to free song credits.

I'm inclined to go with iTunes just because of iCloud now.

19. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I use both iTunes and Amazon, each has it's advantages.

Overall I get so much enjoyment out of my Kindles, and the new Fire, that I remain a very happy long term Amazon customer. Nothing beats a Kindle for reading.

When it comes to web access, I like my iPad 2 best, since that's one of it's core competencies in my usage pattern.

20. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

I was always hesitant about buying songs digitally - I've lost my collection before (even backing up all my songs took 3-4 DVDs).

Thanks to iCloud and being able to redownload music whenever I want (basically free cloud-based backup), I don't have to worry about "what happens if my HD crashes? Will I have to pay to get all this stuff back?"

I've started to slowly re-purchase a lot of my most-listened to music thanks to free iTunes gift cards that I got through HP training events - I want to get to the point where even if I lost my original CDs, I won't need to worry about it, and honestly I don't need to be lugging around a huge case full of CDs anyway.

Everything (including music, looks like) is going to be online soon...

21. Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

For my own collection, I prefer physical media like CDs and then rip them in ALAC. I also subscribe to MOG for listening to albums I don't have in my own collection.

FYI MOG is a rental service like Rhapsody, Spotify, etc.. It uses 320kbps for wifi streaming and downloads.

22. bailey.y macrumors newbie

bailey.y

It depends. I mainly use iTunes for my music, but I'll use Amazon a lot as well. Only cause I buy a lot of music from Germany that isn't available on iTunes.