iTunes Very Slow??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by KTS1010, Jun 24, 2010.

1. KTS1010 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I am going on vacation tomorrow and am wondering if anyone else is experiencing really slow download times. I am trying to download a movie and the download time is like 10 hours, which I don't think is usual. I was just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this?

Thanks, KTS1010

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Could it be your internet connection?

Could it be that that movie is quite popular right now?

To test your internet speed, go to www.speedtest.net and also check that any other software is not using all your upload bandwidth.

Even though some might get annoyed of reading this, the thread title guy strikes again:

A more descriptive and precise thread title will help cater to the right audience and get you more responses.
    To edit your thread title, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the "Go Advanced" button below your message.

Have you also taken a look at http://mroogle.*************/MRoogleSmall.gif, since that question may have been asked several times?

Example: Movie download via iTunes Store takes 10 hours. Why?

3. KTS1010 thread starter macrumors newbie

You are right I am getting like a .3mbs upload speed. What could be causeing this, we aren't running any stuff that should be effecting this rate, also why wouldn't it be your download speed that would be effecting the download?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Your download speed is affecting your download speed, but if you upload something (FTP or any kind of file sharing) and use the maximum capacity of your upload speed, your download speed is also affected, as whatever is downloaded also has to check what is already downloaded, so it has to upload some information. It is more recognizable with websites though.

For example, you have 8Mbit/s (1MB/s) download speed and 1Mbit/S (0.125MB/s) upload speed, and you upload something ad close to 0.125MB/s, you won't reach the full 1MB/s in download speeds.

As you reported, you have 0.1Mb upload speed, which is 0.1Mbit/s, which is 12.5KB/s, which isn't much. Can you also report your download speed?

Have you taken a look at Activity Monitor > Network and seen the speeds you get or if anything downloads/uploads (look under Data sent and Data received)?

Are you sure, that you don't run any other application that downloads or uploads something? Maybe on another user account?

5. KTS1010 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That's 1.25MB/s, more than enough to download a movie (1GB) in less than 15 minutes.

Have you checked any of the other items I hinted at (Activity Monitor, any other running applications in your or another account)?

7. KTS1010 thread starter macrumors newbie

It just says I am getting around 80kbs recieved and 2kbs sent.

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Then the problem might be at Apple's end.

9. KTS1010 thread starter macrumors newbie