iTunes - Very very angry - music disorganised

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by g33, Nov 1, 2009.

1. g33 macrumors 6502

First off sorry but ive got a PC :( and run iTunes on it via Vista and now more recently from a few days ago Windows 7 via a different partition. So i did a google search to see if i could share the itunes library so if i updated music in Vista it would update win Win7 and vice versa... Anyway i followed this guys tutorial on the net following positive comments below his blog saying it was successful.....

All was good until i opened up my itunes library folder today and its organised all my music by ARTIST which is what i really DONT want. Ive pain-stakingly organised my 250gb music library via album with all the details filled out correctly so album name is exact throughout the album tracks. So now ive got 8867 Folders and inside them are another load of folders with related albums to that particular artist, a bloody nightmare especially when i have lots of compliations and various artist albums :mad::mad::mad:

This isnt the first time ive had issues with iTunes from the 6 or so years ive used it. ive had regular corrupt librarys to duplicates etc etc. Reinstalling and adding albums...scanning gapless playback and Genius result scanning takes a whole day with 250gb of music :mad::mad::mad: and deeply frustrating.

So please please please how can i return my library to how it was :confused: :(

2. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

1. System Restore

2. Preferences in iTunes and change the organization

3. Manually

Attached Files:

3. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

I don't understand. The point is to be able to browse and tag your tracks, create playlists, and play your songs in iTunes. What difference does it make how the files are arranged in your iTunes Music folder?

I never look in my iTunes Music folder. If I do happen to need to access a particular song file for any reason, I just right-click it in iTunes and select "Show in Finder" (or in Explorer if you use Windows).

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Some people like their stuff a certain way. Just because you and I don't understand the reasoning doesn't mean it's wrong.

Turn off the automatic library arrangement and manage your music your way.

5. g33 thread starter macrumors 6502

yeh but will a system restore return my files as they were???

because i add music by album not by artist. might not be a problem for you but thats how i like my music organised and so i can easily see whats there as some various artist albums i wont know the artist of etc

6. g33 thread starter macrumors 6502

yeh im primarily using vista still and didnt change any of the preferences in itunes. only on Win 7 as the tutorial told me to so it would sync up properly with Vista. let it be known that it reorganized my whole library like this - not wat i wanted.

unless the system restore works i guess im going to have to spend a few dpare days dragging and dropping albums into newly made album folders to get it back as it was :(

please let me know if there is a quicker solution!

7. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

If you highlight all the tracks for each album, right click on them and select get info from the menu. In the new window, choose the tab called options
    and check the box next to where it says part of a compilation and click OK! This will force iTunes to sort the tracks by Albums not by artists.

BTW, i don't think you can you can blame an application for a user's error.

Attached Files:

8. g33 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi

thanks for that. suppose i cant blame itunes for that mix up but what about the corrupt libraries :D think the tutorial should have stated that this might happen?

anyhow ive done as youve said and it doesnt seem to reorganise. if i go back to that option window it unticks the box even tho ive selected yes and ticked the box before hand....