iTunes (via Airtunes) - crackling since 10.5.3...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SnakeXs, Jun 5, 2008.

1. SnakeXs macrumors member

I guess for the past few weeks, I wanna say since 10.5.3, the music I play through Airtunes has sounded crumby. Some distortion and crackling.

I got a bit worried and thought it was maybe a HW issue, but tests and wavelengths turned out ok, and games/tv/movies had no issues.

So I turned on Airfoil, to force all system sound through the AP Express and thus my sound system, and played songs back and forth, from iTunes and Airtines, to Quick Look/Quicktime and Airfoil.

Lo and behold, Airtunes sounds nasty, Airfoil sounds perfectly fine.

And now finding what the issue is. Does anyone have any ideas?

2. SnakeXs thread starter macrumors member

Tried reinstalling iTunes, and not much luck.

3. SnakeXs thread starter macrumors member

This is still going on and it's driving me crazy. Any help at all would be great, guys.

4. notlocust macrumors newbie

Have you tried resetting the AP Express itself?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1450

5. SnakeXs thread starter macrumors member

I'll try, but I cannot imagine it being an issue with the APEx itself. As I said, Airfoil use makes things sound perfectly fine, as does streaming the music to my 360 via MediaLink. Only with iTunes and it's Airtunes do things sound bad.

But, as I said, I'll gladly try. Thanks.

6. sebrat macrumors newbie

I know this might be a bit simple, but have you tried turning the iTunes output volume down and the actual speaker volume up? I had the same problem, very distorted, and I tried that and it seems fine now.

I also turned off my equalizer - I don't know how well it reacts to heavy bass.

Hope this helps!

7. Bmode macrumors regular

What's your connection on the Aiport Express, analog or optical? I had a similar issue and it was a bad pair of RCA analog cables as well as the amp input location. I switched to optical for a second and it was clear as a bell. So massage the rca inputs, rotate clockwise then counter clockwise until static goes away, and change those analog interconnects, if it is indeed the connection. Good luck, sorry for the frustration.

8. pooryou macrumors 65816

I have this same problem except using AirTunes (now AirPlay) causes the audio on the computer side to have crackling. It's pretty maddening.