iTunes Video (music) no playback

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by erickj, Sep 9, 2009.

1. erickj macrumors regular

I'm wondering if anyone else has or is having issues with video, specifically music video, playback in iTunes. I noticed it when I was trying to play a video I'd downloaded, about 3 weeks ago. I'd bought the video some time ago, already have watched it several times before, but this time it didn't play. I didn't think much of it. But all of my other music videos did the same thing. From what I can tell, it's exclusive to music vids. My tv shows play fine, the few movies I've bought, etc. But not a single music vid plays back. It's just a screenshot of the video. I made a smart playlist, of all my music vids, versus tv/movies and there are 61 music vids and not a single one plays.

This was happening prior to the iTunes 9 update, but I'm not sure when exactly, or with which update it did start happening, as i just noticed about 3 weeks ago.

2. amblue macrumors newbie

I have the same exact problem and I cannot figure out how to fix it. Movies and TV shows play with no problem but music videos play sound but only show a static picture in the artwork viewer. I know that Quicktime is working as I can open the music videos in quicktime and they work without a problem.

fyi I a running Snow Leopard, not sure if this makes a difference for this problem.

thx for any help...

3. amblue macrumors newbie

Ok I figured out the issue from the Apple discussion boards. The issue with music video related playback has to due with using airtunes and having anything other than "Computer" as the chosen speaker. If you have the remote speakers chosen you will only get a still picture of the video + the audio. When you choose computer only, the music video + the audio both play.

Conjecture on those boards was that this may be a feature as opposed to a bug.

4. erickj thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, thanks for the solution, albeit I do not find that a 'feature' at all. It seems odd to me that tv and movies would have no problem knowing when to switch, but a music video doesn't. Anyway, thanks a lot for the info. J.