iTunes Visualizations. What's the point?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by maximus06, Sep 9, 2008.

1. maximus06 macrumors regular

I've recently started using them a bit, and either I am missing something, or they just don't work properly?

I'm listening to various songs (mostly electronic) with a CLEAR beat, and the visualizations are ALWAYS off-beat (they seem to grow bigger/wilder when more "happens" in the songs but they don't go with the flow. So basically visualizations are just random, abstract displays? What's the point then?

It would be SO awesome if it actually went with the beat, for example, "grew bigger" with every beat and then "retreated" again etc. - synchronizing the music with the visualizations, but the way it is now is just utterly lame.

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I've said before. These visualizations are better suited for screensavors. Completely useless for me.

3. Mac In School macrumors 65816

Personally, I wouldn't understand the point even if they fit the music perfectly. Do people really just sit and stare at visualizations when they listen to music? I'm usually doing something else on my computer at the same time, or listening to music elsewhere (iPhone, home theater, etc.).

4. maximus06 thread starter macrumors regular

Occasionally, it would just be cool I suppose. Syncing music with animation is quite powerful.

Yeah, how hard can it seriously be to sync them with the animations somewhat? Only the beat...its so pointless otherwise.

Are there any programs/external visualizations that actually "work"?

5. saxman macrumors 6502

I've never used one for more than a few seconds honestly. Maybe I'll try it out again. It's a nice concept, but nothing like looking at a real person's visual interpretation of music

6. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

It's a gimmick, albeit a pretty one. It's just supposed to look funky, in a decorative kinda way. I guess if you use iTunes as some kind of jukebox and leave the mac running unattented, then it looks cooler than a scruffy desktop and an iTunes file browser.
    You should find that on a fast Mac, it's pretty responsive (Especially later visualisers). I found the original iTunes visualiser could lag a bit. But again, not so much on a fast mac. The later visulaisers, including the latest one are far more sprightly.

Having said that, I still don't use them much at all. The novelty wears off fast for me, plus im usually using the mac for something at the same time as listening to tunes :)