iPhone 6(S)(+) iTunes vs Spotify

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stuhlz, Jan 9, 2019.

1. stuhlz macrumors newbie

stuhlz

So I had a crazy idea. Why don't I just have my songs on Spotify instead of having them as files on my phone and clear up space and have my phone go faster??? Thoughts??

2. Goompa macrumors newbie

Goompa

Apple Music, compared to Spotify, is miles away behind.

It makes weird mixes, changes album portraits, doesn’t work fine if you stream your music (kinda hard to explain: if my original file is in my Mac, it tends to change the album or makes it not available on my phone and vice-versa).

I’m planning on cancel it and start using Spotify. It looks rock solid.

3. stuhlz thread starter macrumors newbie

stuhlz

TOTALLY agree. iTunes puts some insane album art on my songs, I'm like whaaaa. And the interface of Spotify is just so attractive plus I love all the playlists I can discover
    --- Post Merged, Jan 9, 2019 ---
    I like listening to techno while I workout. Searched "techno workout" in Spotify and bam ;)

4. Goompa macrumors newbie

Goompa

Yea! That discover feature is SO good, wish apple had it on their software.
    I just gave up at changing my album art, it always changes them by itself. :/

5. KOTN91 macrumors member

I disagree. I much prefer the look and layout of Apple Music. Spotify feels very Android-y.

Although I do like their feature where they summarise what you were listening to the most each month, it’d be cool if Apple Music had a similar thing (I know they have “heavy rotation” but would be nice to see it on a historical basis)

6. rbrian macrumors 6502a

rbrian

Clearing space won't make your phone any faster, but it could save you money next time you buy a new one.

Speaking of money, how much do you spend buying music? I was surprised to find I've bought an average of 12 albums per year, giving me around 6,000 songs in total in the quarter century I've been buying music. For about the same cost, I could have access to tens of millions!

Many of those I've bought I no longer listen to, as my tastes have changed, and some turned out to have one amazing single, and 10 tracks of filler. Streaming looks better and better the more I look at it! I got a voucher for six months of Deezer with my Samsung soundbar, I really ought to activate it.

7. msp3 macrumors regular

Because Spotify is a dishonest company that exploits musicians by paying them next to nothing...

8. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

Didn't Taylor swift have to make a big song and dance to get Apple to pay fair prices?

Anyhow I don't really like the way spotify looks. I prefer Apple music. I also like the fact that everything is done in one app with Apple music. So I have all of my own music and Apple music in the same place. With spotify I'd have to use two separate apps as I like to keep about 30 GB of my own music stored on my phone for offline use.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 9, 2019 ---
    I don't buy a lot of music now but in the past I did. I had over 2,000 CDs that I gave away to charity after I got my first homepod as I want to De-clutter my house. I've been buying CDs since 1995 and before that I had cassettes.

9. trifid macrumors 68000

trifid

Yea that's the main thing I see as a downside to Spotify, you can do local songs in Spotify as well, but it's quite basic and not as good as iTunes.

One thing I'm deeply troubled by Apple music though is that lets say you start building your curated playlists, years of curated songs, the day you unsubscribe for whatever reason, your playlists are gone. With Spotify it keeps them intact even if you cancel premium, and you can still access via the free tier.

Also Spotify has such a great community that there is a ton of user-made playlists, that's one of the biggest reasons Spotify is so far ahead of Apple Music, the discoverability of new songs is great.

10. ZEEN0j macrumors 65816

ZEEN0j

Source? Before settling on Apple Music after using Spotify for years. I used Apple Music on and off since it came and went maybe a year without a subscription. When I came back all the songs I had added were still there.

11. trifid macrumors 68000

trifid

After ending subscription, Apple keep data for 90 days, if you don't subscribe back it gets deleted, see link below:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/3muz4e/if_you_do_not_renew_apple_music_your_saved/

12. janeauburn macrumors 6502a

janeauburn

What I like least about Apple Music is the white interface. It's glaring.

What I like best is the ease of use otherwise.

I have Apple Music, Spotify, and Pandora. Pandora is by far the best radio.

13. Ebok macrumors 6502

used Apple Music for 2 years, switched to Spotify and I couldn't be happier (for now)

14. trifid macrumors 68000

trifid

Just curious what prompted you to switch?

15. Ebok macrumors 6502

I’m on a family subscription and I wasn’t a fan of the whole purchase sharing thing. When other family members had their own iCloud storage subscriptions or purchased apps, I would be charged despite them having their own payment info on their accounts.

That caused me to look into Spotify. I don’t need to see what apps or subs others are purchasing. It’s not my business.

I prefer the interface with Spotify now and the playlists they offer to discover new music weekly.

16. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

I second this. I got 6 months of free Apple Music through my Verizon plan and have been trying to tune some radio stations and I just can't seem to find anything good on there compared to my Pandora stations. I had originally planned on cancelling my Pandora subscription and sticking with Apple Music but I always find myself going back after being disappointed by AM.

I also tried Spotify and I agree with whoever said it's got a very Androidy interface. Wasn't a fan at all and I'm usually all about the dark/black interface.

17. JonnyBlaze macrumors regular

I’ve just gone from Spotify to Apple Music. I had been using (and paying for) Spotify since it started in the U.K. and have loved it. I got a one year deal for £99 last year, but when that expired there were no more yearly offers. Instead I bought some 15% off iTunes vouchers and got a year of Apple Music for £85. It was only about price, I don’t use playlists, and just search albums I want to play. So depends what you want, they were the same for me except AM was cheaper.

18. Goompa macrumors newbie

Goompa

I’ve had many complaints about that family sharing situation. Everyone has their own money and should pay for what they like, not fair to be “responsible” for others peoples purchases.
    There should be an option, at least authorization before they charge you!