iTunes vs VuDu

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by AFPoster, Apr 14, 2011.

1. AFPoster macrumors 65816

So I have always used iTunes for renting movies, tv shows, etc. Now there is Vudu and I am curious what you all use and think of these services and any others aside from these two.

2. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Vudu? Who do the Vudu, you do? Where is Vudu on Apple TV?

3. newagemac, Apr 14, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2011

newagemac macrumors 68020

Vudu offers higher quality but it's more expensive than iTunes and the selection isn't as good. Their DRM won't allow you to put the streams on iDevices if you like to do that. It's the only streaming service that I know of that does 1080p right but you'll go through your bandwidth cap a lot faster if your connection can handle their higher quality streams. That pretty much sums it up.

4. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

I never rent but I have a ton of digital copies. Vudu are ultraviolet which I hate because they have 4-5 different UV services that don't work together or play nice. If I have a movie from one company I have to go on a different website. which is insanely annoying.

Cool think about Vudu is they give you a ton of free movies(not many that you actually want tho). Also I think Walmart offers a way to get movies into digital for 2 bucks for the same quality(Dvd to DVD, Blu to Blu) but if you want a upgrade from dvd to Blu its only 5 bucks which is pretty awesome. For me it is just annoying 10 years after the whole iTunes video Warner brothers decides you know what lets make Ultraviolet a thing now !!

I was hoping HD Dvd vs Blu ray would have been the end of that. I went with HD DVD and still to this day think it was 100x better then Blu ray. NO LOADING !!!!! But what are you going to do.

5. brentsg macrumors 68040

You can both stream and store Vudu movies on iDevices. Downloading is slow as hell, but it's supported.

6. Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

I have used it to backup movies and put DVDs in their "blueray quality". My main issue with this part of the service is the fact that many movies don't have a surround sound audio track. However, having them available via laptop or iPad on the road is nice. I still would rather use Plex at home.

Their rentals look great, but I still use iTunes on the Appletv more often. I prefer the iTunes interface.