iTunes want to delete photos

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by exc4libur, Jan 9, 2012.

1. exc4libur macrumors newbie

Hi!

I need some help. Yesterday i have just did fresh clean install of OSx Lion on my iMac. Afcourse i have also deleted photos from iPhone on mac, but i have synced them all to iPhone. Other stuff i have saved to external disk. But now i have problem, i want to sync those photos back to iMac, but when i click in iTunes to sync photos it says that it will erase photos that are in albums on iPhone. i have created those albums with iPhoto.

what can i do?

thank you

2. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Not sure how it works on a mac but when you plug your iPhone in on a win pc it shows up as an external drive. Drag and drop.

Itunes sync is always one-way which is why it's prompting that it'll delete the photos. It never goes Phone > iTunes, only iTunes > Phone.

3. ObuckiO macrumors regular

I plug in phone, go up to Magnifing glass(top right), type in "preview"..go over to Preview top left menu by apple logo...File..list down, should say sync iphone and that is how i transfer from phone to computer (vids and pics.) i hope thats what you need.. external disc?? i don't know if you can do the same way

4. exc4libur thread starter macrumors newbie

so its better that i plug it in on windows , drag&drop and ill be save :) ill try that, but i wonder if there is any better solution.

5. exc4libur thread starter macrumors newbie

if i try this way, is the problem that is shows ONLY photos in camera roll, but not others created with iPhoto - example Wallpapers, Vacations, Friends etc .. I can't get access to those photos.

6. ObuckiO macrumors regular

I kinda know what you mean..Like differant Albums? Maybe.. in itunes "revert albums" that is a idea(revert somehow), or is that when they say the warning?

7. exc4libur thread starter macrumors newbie

maybe we don't understand each other correctly.

1. i had iMac and iPhoto
    2. i imported photos with iPhoto to imac
    3. i created albums in iPhoto
    4. with iTunes i synced photos from iPhoto ( with all new albums ) to iPhone
    5. i erased everything from mac ( clean install )
    6. i want to sync photos back to imac
    7. i have a problem :D

and the problem is, ( iTunes says ):

This iPhone contains photos synced with another iPhoto library or folder. Photos and albums on XYs iPhone will be replaced with photos and albums from this computer. Photos taken with XYs iPhone will not be affected.

i can choose Cancel or Replace photos :confused::(

8. ancelrick macrumors member

ancelrick

that's the way it works. sorry to say. you can only export pictures in the camera roll. it's same on a PC. The other picture folders that you copied from a computer to the iphone can't be copied back.

I can't remember the name but there used to be a 3rd party utility to extract files from the iPhone , you'll need something like that .

lesson learned , don't think your phone is a back up, and always have a back up of your phone

9. exc4libur thread starter macrumors newbie

i have backed up everything except those photos from iPhone, because i thought it is gonna work :D well.. i think ill use dropbox :) but i have 3000pics, i is gonna be a lot of clicking :D

10. ObuckiO, Jan 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2012

ObuckiO macrumors regular

I like that humor you put on this.:rolleyes: OK..hopefully, someone else can cherp in on this...but don't think i'm going to quit. i'll post you back if i get a better answer:( Hope you get it saved.file extractor link

11. exc4libur thread starter macrumors newbie