iTunes wants to delete apps when I try to add photos

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by semiartificial, Feb 28, 2011.

1. semiartificial, Feb 28, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2011

semiartificial macrumors newbie

Feb 28, 2011
    Short general background:
    I'm very new to Apple, but my wife bought me an iPad at Christmas. iTunes was weird at first but I've managed to add various things, including photos.

I've now got an old iPod touch. I set iTunes up on another computer, using a different account. Got some free apps, added music, books etc to itunes, synched, all fine.
    Then I tried to sync photos to a folder, but when I check the box next to 'sync photos from ...' at the top, the sync button at the bottom right is replaced by 'revert' and 'apply'.
    If I hit the 'apply' button, I get a message asking if I'm sure I want to delete apps (which I don't). So, I can't add photos.
    I noticed that when I go to the apps tab, the content is grey, I can't change anything, but the 'sync' button works ok.
    I haven't tried to jailbreak it or anything dodgy!

I would be very grateful if someone could explain why it's doing this and how I can fit it so I can get some photos onto it.

2. Brucewl macrumors 6502

Sep 15, 2010
    Your iTunes account, I suggest you to change your account to the previous one.
  3. semiartificial thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 28, 2011
    Thanks for the reply.

Could you please explain why this would help.
    I'm not great with computers, but does iTunes/Apple try to link things to an IP address or something?
  4. semiartificial thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 28, 2011
    Ok, for anyone else who gets a similar problem, here's how I ended up.

I saw advice else where to right-click the ipod when connected to iTunes and 'transfer purchases' and then simply try again with the photos but say that I accept the apps being deleted.

I thought that the worst that can happen here is that I have to install a bunch of free apps again, so decided to go for it.

Nothing much happened when I hit 'transfer purchases'.

I then opted to delete my apps and hoped for the best.
    15 seconds later it was all over.
    Sync complete (there was only one photo, just as a test).
    No apps lost.
    And the apps aren't grey now in iTunes.
    Everything seems fine.
    Got some more photos on, everything sync'ing ok.

Seems I wasted several hours of my life researching this problem - thanks iTunes - but a relatively happy ending.