iTunes weekly chart playlist

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mashiach, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Mashiach macrumors regular

Mashiach

Well its been a long time since I posted so... Hello all.

I have been wanting a weekly chart smart playlist in iTunes that will tell me what is popular in from what I have listened to in a time frame of the previous week. I think I may have figured out the answer. It seems to be doing what I want it to any way.

Firstly create a new smart playlist.
    Set the first rule to
    Play count > is greater than > 0
    And the next rule to
    Last played > is in the last > 1 weeks (you can change this to any time frame you want)

What I then did was limit it to 10 items selected by most often played (again you can change this to 50 or whatever if you want to see a bigger list of your most listened to songs, I kept it at 10 so it would give me a top 10 chart)

Now this still may not work fully as there still seems to be a minor problem with the playcount.
    For example as a test I took a song i Hadn't listened to and played it 20 times in a row and its at number 10 where as a song I have only played 17 times is at number 9.

If any one has any ideas to make this work better reply away....
    Over and out.

2. Nadav macrumors regular

I just tried this, because I've been searching for a way to have a playlist which shows my most played songs in the past week, but this didn't work. Your playlist puts songs that were played in the last week, but the order that they are in is by overall play count. So, if I have listened to a song 100 times last month, and played it yesterday, it would be higher than a song that I had just downloaded yesterday, and has 50 plays.

I'm really hoping that Apple will make it possible to have these sort of playlists with the next version of iTunes.

3. Mashiach thread starter macrumors regular

Mashiach

Well thts the thing you see that i am finding strange with this. As you said above it puts songs in overall playcount order but mine isn't like that.

Position Song Playcount
    1 9000 miles - Pendulum 92
    2 Midnight Runner - Pendulum 65
    3 Granite - Pendulum 50

That seems self explanatory but this is where the problem occurs

4 Smash TV - Chase and Status 32
    5 The Tempest - Pendulum 44

See How 5 has been played more than 4

6 Mutiny - Pendulum 32
    7 The Otherside - Pendulum 30
    8 Pjanoo - Eric Prydz 24
    9 You Make Me Feel - Anne Grace 20
    10 Nobody - Skindred 50

The same problem occurs with 9 and 10

Like I say it probably is doing what you have said but why is the above happening.

4. BayouBengal macrumors regular

One of the few things I liked about Windows Media Player was that built in it had playlists like this. It would even break it down and tell you what you most listened to during the day versus at night. If someone figures out a good way to do this in iTunes, please let us all know.

5. Mashiach thread starter macrumors regular

Mashiach

It seems to be working

I had a look at this playlist today and it seems to be ordering the songs like I wanted it to. There is a song with 20 plays first and a song ith 98 plays 5th. The whole chart is mixed up like this. Try it out see if it works for you all as well.

6. BeachChair macrumors 6502a

I still can't figure out how to make smart playlist of songs with highest playcount during the last week. It seems iTunes can't distunguish between overall playcount and playcount during period X.