iTunes, when syncing photos, why does it show duplicate faces?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ReelAction, Nov 17, 2013.

1. ReelAction, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2013

ReelAction macrumors member

This is happening when connected to both my iPhone and iPad and really annoying.
    In one instance I have 14 occurrences of the same face name listed in iTunes/Photos/Faces, and have numerous Face names that do not even exist in iPhoto, but may have been there in the past, since I routinely do some clean up.
    When I click on the extraneous faces, it shows 0 photos.

Has anyone found a method to clean this up?

I have rebuilt the iPhoto library with no change in results. Also deleted the iPod photo cache.

iTunes, 11.1.3
    iPhoto '11, ver 9.5
    ios 7.0.4 on both devices

2. Embraer macrumors newbie

No answer from me, but I'd like to bump this for a solution

3. npaisnel macrumors member

I found one possible solution...but I have been unable to create a Smart album to Find the 'rogue' missing faces.

The theory was that these Faces have occurred because they have been created in Facebook, if you have shared that album via Facebook.

The option was supposedly to find the photos within the Facebook albums with these rogue names.... but...

Since the names do not appear in iPhoto, you can't create a Smart album that searches for them..also does not seem to be possible to search for only albums or events that have been shared in Facebook.

I have a selection of 'Faces' with names like "A" or AA' or aaa etc.
    "Faces" I have created in the past by accident when iPhot has been running slow, and it has not kept up with keyboard inputs...so it has hung, then suddenly picked up on all the keyboard inputs and done a load of random stuff....bloody Apple...and I left Windows to get away form all this hassle.

4. npaisnel macrumors member

AH *&^^&&^

iPhoto grrrr iTunes grrrrrrrr ggrrrrr.
    It now eels to have sync'd Every single Face to the iPad...despite only two Faces being selected.

It does not show groups for the missing faces, but still sync's every single Face.

I think what ever this issue is it is far deeper than simply Facebook tagged photos

I have completely rebuilt the iPhoto data base, multiple times now, uses IPL to create new iPhoto Libraries..

I am so glad that when ever I import photos, I still keep all of the albums in a Directory structure, totally outside of iPhoto.. No faces/places etc, but at least i can still find photos ..unlike this joke that is iPhoto.

5. kaki4125 macrumors newbie

I found myself how to deal with this problem! Did your iPhoto connect to Facebook account?
    If you did, you have to find the tagged photo in the Facebook album in the iPhoto and then remove the tags from the photo. Because when you upload photos on Facebook via iPhoto, your friends can tag it and iPhoto will automatically setup a new face tag. Once you remove the tag, you will not find the duplicate face tags in iTunes! Try it! I hope it works:)

6. npaisnel macrumors member

Yes, that is exactly what I said I did in my first post in this thread..but there is no way to search for these random names in iPhoto..and the only other way is to manually trawl through all Facebook albums to find them and compare with iTunes...not an option with hundreds or more photos