iTunes Wi-Fi Sync requirements

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sultanoflondon, Feb 10, 2014.

1. sultanoflondon macrumors regular

Hi all,

I was wondering what were the requirements for the iTunes Wi-Fi Sync to work?

My situation is this; I have an iPhone 3GS that I want to sync with iTunes 11.1.4 on an iMac 27" Late 2012, using the Wi-Fi Sync facility. However, even with the iPhone and the iMac on the same Wi-Fi network and the iPhone within 1 foot of the iMac, the two do not sync? On the iPhone, I click 'Sync now', but then it just says looking for iMac all of the time?

Many thanks in advance!

2. iRock1 macrumors 6502a

iRock1

I'm sorry to approach your problem with a non-technical response, but I remember Wi-Fi Sync being a nightmare. Of all the hell that iTunes currently is, Wi-Fi Sync is probably the worst part. I couldn't make it work (even when both devices were connected to the same network), and when it did, it was full of errors and slow as hell.

3. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

4. sultanoflondon thread starter macrumors regular

Really?! Not a good forecast then!

Thanks for the reply though!

5. saotomefirst macrumors regular

That's a strange report... I have no problems to Wi-fi sync my iPhone 4 with my Macbook Pro. I did have to do a 1st time cable syncing, but today, whenever I connect my iPhone to a power supply it will sync like it's magic :)
    I did have a hard time to make this work between my old Windows XP and my iPhone though. Even though it should be possible in theory, I never got it to work :(
    In any case, I have to agree: it's far slower than a regular cable sync. In my case, it's my ambient's fault - I can detect over 50 Wi-fi signals from neighbors anywhere in my house, some of them even stronger than my own AP's beacon! - but that's not a problem, as I can usually wait a whole night for it to finish ;)

6. sultanoflondon thread starter macrumors regular

Does the iPhone need to be connected to power? Thanks.

7. saotomefirst macrumors regular

Yes, otherwise your battery could run dry in the middle of the process, leaving you with a dead iPhone and no backup :(

This article explains the process. Go to [ Sync using Wi-Fi ] for a step-by-step guide ;)

8. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

It's funny, I just came here to vent about this very thing and there's already a thread about it.

To the original poster -- what you're trying to do should work as-is, but, I'm in agreement with the quote above -- Wi-Fi sync is garbage and you may not want to bother. As long as it's been available, I've tried it on several different iPhones, and every version of iTunes that's been out. I continually have problems getting it to sync without issue. I've tried resetting my devices completely (wiping them) and re-syncing, and then it'll work for a while, but eventually it dies again.

Usually it's one of these scenarios:

1. I hit "Sync" on my iPhone, it'll say it's syncing, and then it just stops, with a "last sync date" of some day prior to today. No rhyme or reason to it, just doesn't want to sync.
    2. If I do it from the computer, it'll get stuck at "Waiting for items to copy" -- it'll just sit there...sit...sit...sit...doing nothing...until I finally kill it. Keep in mind I'm talking about it sitting there for like, half an hour doing this. And, nothing major has even changed. Maybe an app got updated, maybe I added one new album -- nothing that should cause a sync to take anywhere near this long.
    3. The computer just says it can't find my device.

Keeping in mind, I have ALL Apple equipment with everything patched up to date (iPhone, Mac Mini running latest iTunes, Airport Extreme), and when I'm doing these syncs, usually the phone is in the same room as the other two devices, or right in the room next door (I live in a 1000 sq. ft. condo so, no matter where I am I get full bars regardless).

I've resolved to just not using it anymore until they make it work better.

9. iRock1 macrumors 6502a

iRock1

Since now everything is about the cloud, I don't see that happening anytime soon.

10. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Not really sure how that's relevant. It's not like Wi-Fi sync is a deprecated feature, in fact, it was released right at around the same time as all the iCloud stuff.