iTunes WiFi Store: "There is not enough space to download this song."

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chris Welch, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Chris Welch macrumors 6502

My iPhone has like 80 MB of free space, and I'm trying to download a single song... Yet, the Wi-Fi store keeps giving me this error when I try to purchase it. :eek::confused:

2. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

This has been discussed earlier.
    The itms does not let you download any new songs if your low at disk space I know 80mb isn't low but according to the itms it is. So the easiest solution would be clearing up some space on the phone.

3. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

Don't forget, your phone needs a certain amount of free disc space for the OS to operate smoothly. I always try to leave at least 10% free on all my drives and devices.

4. Avatar74 macrumors 65816

80MB is pretty low free space. I can see several possible reasons why Apple limits the WiFi Music Store from downloading when memory gets that low... but the bottom line is that you have to leave some free space. You would get warnings on your computer if your system drive got dangerously low. Part of this may be that whatever the iPhone's internal system RAM, it probably uses the flash RAM for virtual memory much in the same way the desktop system uses the hard drive for virtual memory.

Quickest thing to do is delete any movies or TV shows you're done watching. You don't need to sync for that.

Another good idea is to create a folder on the iTunes interface called iPod Playlists, and then add playlists and smart playlists to that folder. Then you can click those playlists on and off in the iPhone configuration menus to rotate them regularly rather than having the same content on every day of the week. This, combined with keeping a healthy amount of free space, will help you get the most out of your iPhone.

5. bluesman87 macrumors member

So what is the cutoff? I have 144mb left on mine, and I still get that message when I have been trying to download the new Down album. Is there some apple support document that identifies this? I'd like to know because it seems like a 40-50mb album should be suitable for the phone when it has basically 150mb on it? :confused::apple::confused:

6. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Sounds like the cutoff might be around ~100MB. Does the iPhone/iPod Touch use any type of "swap" space? :confused:

7. iMACTASTIC macrumors member

hmmmm 80 mb??? sounds like the hd size of the first mac.

Also dont forget if you have your mail set up you might need those 80mb's oh and voice mail, oh and browsing, and hmmm what else?

8. iMACTASTIC macrumors member

144mb vs saying basically 150 mb is like saying i kinda peed my pants.

9. 4ndr3w macrumors regular

You had a 80MB drive in the first Mac? :eek: You must have some special time traveling powers!

10. iMACTASTIC macrumors member

No guess it was a pathetic stab at sarcastic humor. I stand corrected and guilty of being to lazy to find out the specific specs. I new 80 was high though. Guess i was trying to say 80mb is not much at all. by the way that old mac did help me build my time machine and if you want ill tell you all about how the microsoft surface turns out.

11. bluesman87 macrumors member

What the **** does that mean? so I'm 6 off, I don't understand your little nerd jokes. Think you can grow up a little sport and explain further :rolleyes:

12. iMACTASTIC macrumors member

if the phone caps you at 100mb left then that 6 mb really did matter didnt it?

Do you feel better now? You shouldnt get so angry about 6mb