iTunes Wifi Store usable under 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by svalentine, Jun 12, 2008.

1. svalentine macrumors regular

Anybody know if this might happen? I think the speeds would be fast enough and it would provide a great service! We could really get music on the go.

2. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

*WiFi* Music Store for use with *3G* ... hmm .... :)

In all seriousness, I doubt it yet. They would change the name if it were any different (iTunes Mobile Store?) and I think the App Store will tax the network enough. Songs would be downloaded much more often. It might be a couple of years before you can download songs over the cell network.

3. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

I wish.....and when do we get to start downloading movies and tv shows?

4. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

well if u can download apps from the app store why not songs???

5. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

I think they are blocking this due to the amount of people that would just download via cell vs. home network.

EDIT: Under features via iPhone tab on Apple's website, it specifically states you need a Wi-Fi connection. Also the "Wi-Fi iTunes Store" seems to give it away.

6. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

They'd be mad to not allow song downloads over 3G given that all the UK operators, for example, already offer OTA music download services and Nokia even has its own one which sets more of a precedent.

So long as the songs cost money I don't think there's any risk of abuse of the cell networks and the 'unlimited' data supplied.

7. randomusername macrumors 6502

In the keynote, Jobs stated that in the Apps store you can download apps that are 10MB or less over iTunes, WiFi, or 3G and apps more than 10MB on just iTunes and WiFi. I don't see why they wouldn't do the same for the mobile iTunes store. But it's Apple, so who knows.

8. Knolly macrumors 6502a

You can't do over the air music downloads because it requires additional licensing to record companies and the network provider, etc etc.

9. rolex54 macrumors 6502

yeah, thats what I thought also, pretty stupid really

10. svalentine thread starter macrumors regular

It looks like part of the "Instinct" campaign against the iPhone shows a video of Sprint's new phone letting you download music without a Wifi connection.

I really hope Apple/AT&T can make the iTunes store work over 3G.

11. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Yes. For $3 a song with an incredibly limited selection.

Apple's not willing to charge people more than the standard $.99.

12. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    Exactly. NOT WORTH IT. The music companies won't budge. In fact, they're probably pissed that Apple is allowing purchases outside of the carrier's network on the same device to begin with. There's a huge gulf between what features many devices SAY you'll get, and the actually usability of that experience due to licensing and all sorts of other goofy issues. It confuses things so terribly. I'm glad Apple didn't cave and let use Verizon's VCast. How stupid would that have been?

~ CB

13. rolex54 macrumors 6502

I know, verizon likes to ruin every phone with their software, it sucks so bad

14. joekun macrumors regular

What about podcasts? There shouldn't be any licensing issues there. I would love to be able to download podcasts on the go.

15. DreamPod macrumors 65816

My Helio Ocean lets you download music over 3G. Sure it's convenient and fast, but they also charge $2 per song, songs are DRM'ed, and of course they have nowhere near as huge a library as Apple does.

16. trevreyno macrumors member

podcasts over the air would be great.

lets hope the 10 mb limit only applies to the app store and not maximum download limit system wide on the iphone.

in the uk we have the bbc iplayer which works great when streamed to the iphone via wifi.it should work great over the air via 3g-however will 02 allow streaming of large files like this as it would be very popular.

with all the talk of so called "traffic shaping" i.e. isps throttling their speed at peak times,are we going to see the mobile carriers doing the same?

lets hope unlimited really means unlimited.

17. badgerman macrumors 6502a

i would also really realy like it if podcasts could be updated via 3g.

I seem to remember 02 wont allow audio/video streaming over the network, Will try and find where I saw it.

18. The Phazer macrumors 68030

We already know unlimited doesn't really mean unlimited - the t&c's of the current O2 iPhone agreement state that you can't use it for streaming media, and the contracts for other 3G phones says the same.

It'll be blocked in the same way it is now.

I would just be content to be able to update my Podcast directory over wi-fi rather than having to sync to do so. My phone syncs to my main desktop machine, and hence no new podcasts for a week if I go on holiday.

Phazer

19. trevreyno macrumors member

ummm....3g is not looking so great to me after all.

slightly faster loading web pages don't quite cut it-I'm going to have to reconsider if its worth upgrading.:(

20. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

wait for the 3.5g HSPDA 32gb iPhone and you will be able to do itunes OTA..

21. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

\

Pretty sure that last time i checked the iPhone was HSPDA!

22. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Yup, it is. Looks like we've just got another "know-it-all" who knows nothing.

23. rayward macrumors 65816

The 3G iPhone isn't aimed at getting people to upgrade. It's aimed at the European/Far Eastern markets where 3G is the norm. After all, other than 3G/GPS, there really isn't any notable difference between the outgoing models and the incoming ones. They're going to be running exactly the same software.

I'm going to hold off upgrading until they get to at least 32GB on board. 3G and GPS aren't enough for me to consider upgrading either.