Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cruiser34

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
Hi

i'm trying to change an album in itunes

i drag the whole album in itunes: no problem
the artist name is spelt slightly different than other albums by the same artist so when i transfer to my ipod you get two artists in your list: problem for me :p

ok, i select every track in the album, right click and get info

change the artist name and click ok

the artist name for every track changes however it always leaves the first track on its own while the others move to their own (splitting the album): problem :mad:

when i check the info/tags nothing seems out of place on that one track?

not the first time this has happened but it seems to be on random albums

hollerz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
Durham, UK
Try simply changing them all to something like Artist2, and then them all back to Artist. Always works when that happens to me.

Also, check the Sort Artist field.

mahood

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2009
UK
worked, thanks!!

I find it happens sometimes when it's still 'checking volume' for a recently imported file... I think it locks the file while it's reading it, and then silently fails to update the tags.

Just waiting a minute can help sometimes, but the above procedure is a good fix for when it doesn't.

Mark

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
To avoid multiple entries for an artist, select all songs and all albums by that artist, Get Info, and change the Artist and/or Album Artist for all of them at once. Also, be sure the Sort Artist and Sort Album Artist fields match for all of them, as that can cause them not to sort together. The same methodology works for Artist, Album Artist and Album.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.