iTunes WILL NOT Home Share

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MattOKC, Sep 21, 2009.

1. MattOKC macrumors member

iMac and PC in home, both on the same network, will not "home share."

Both computers are authorized.
    Both are logged into iTunes using the same login account.
    Both have preferences set to share and detect libraries.

Yet neither computer shows ANY recognition of a shared library from the other. Apparently, this is not a rare problem, but I haven't found any solutions for it. Anyone have a helpful idea to resolve it?

2. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

try turning Home sharing off and on again.
    Also check your firewall.

3. MattOKC thread starter macrumors member

I've tried toggling home sharing off/on, closing and re-opening iTunes, and even rebooting both computers. Firewall is set to allow iTunes to access network.

Still, no libraries appear in the "shared" area of either iTunes.

4. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

When you click on the sharing can you see the apple wheel turning like it is working? I noticed with mine if the library was big it took a while to share it all over.

5. glenalex macrumors newbie

I have exactly the same Home Share problem

iMac and Macbook both running OS 10.6.1 with latest iTunes version. Will not share over my wireless network.

6. vikkimac macrumors newbie

itunes and home sharing problem

[​IMG]
    Firewall off on mac, pc set up to allow access to this port. Have quit and restarted both, have turned home sharing on/off, STILL getting this error.:mad:

7. glenalex macrumors newbie

I got this fixed

Even a visit to the Genius bar had not worked.

OK, first check - Are you using Wireless ? If you are, just to verify you have the same issue, turn off wireless security temporarily and re-connect both device wireless connections.

Second, what they don't tell you is that you have to go to System Preferences, Sharing, add your user account, say "FRED" into the list of Shared folders, then specify who is allowed to use them. You have to do this on both computers.

Third, with wireless security turned off, you should now be able to see the other computer in finder and you should also see that Home Share works in iTunes provided you have also followed the setup instructions for Home Share in iTunes.

OK, if that works, and you can see the other computer and search directories within Finder and also Home Share within iTunes, then go back to your wireless security and turn it back on. The mode does not matter. It should work fine with WPA2 Personal contrary to Apple stating that File Sharing only works under WEP (they simply have never updated the page).

Now, what you will find is that you can see each computer in Finder but when you click on the icon for the other computer, a dialogue box comes up saying Connecting but it fails to connect. At the top right hand corner of that dialogue box, there is a 'Connect As' button. Click it and another box comes up asking you for a user name and your password. This, on my machines, is the same as the password you use when the system jumps in if you're installing software and asks for a password. Type in the required details, click the accept button and, within a few seconds, mine was working Ok and Finder displayed everything I needed on the other computer.

You then need to go to the other computer and go through the same process so that each device can see the other.

This is nothing short of a huge cock up in iTunes as they lead you to believe it is totally independent of file sharing and wireless security.

Hope this works.

8. HBOC macrumors 68020

Mine works flawlessly, and for some reason, i didn't have to change any settings. All my girlfriend had to do was install iTunes on her Dell XPS. I logged in, and she could play what i had in my library..

9. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

I can share from iMac to PC but not from PC to iMac.

Shared library on PC itunes looks like a Home with music note.

Shared Library (PC's) on iMac looks like a few Pages stacked with music note.

WTF??

10. floydjonz macrumors newbie

Turned off VPN

I wasn't able to share between my Macbook Pro and my PC laptop. I had everything set up correctly, but no go.

On my laptop I was logged in to work through VPN. When I disabled my VPN connection, the home sharing worked for me.

11. lippythelog macrumors newbie

Hi

This may work as I had tried every other recommended solution on this and other forums in regards trying to rectify this problem itunes / apple tv 2g not been found after 'Home Sharing' is turned on, correctly configured on both devices, on the same network etc.

On your router within its administration functions look to see if 'multicast' is enabled.

'Multicast' was unchecked on my router supplied by my ISP Talk Talk (it may be a default auto setting on some routers), I found a tiny article about this ability as been required to be enabled before itunes / bonjour / home sharing will work.

I checked the 'Multicast' option within the router and saved the option,
    re-booted the router and I could automatically now see my itunes library - via home share - on my Apple TV 2g.

Hope this works :)

12. gnvitalian macrumors newbie

Home sharing

I am trying to share my library between my mac and windows. Both iTunes (same acct) are on my Mac (thru bootcamp). Can someone help me?

13. JediMeister macrumors 68040

@gnvitalian: No way to set up Home Sharing on a dual boot system as far as I know. Home Sharing is supposed to be set up between two different computers on the same network.

14. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

I've never been able to get it working either

15. bdhtx macrumors newbie

Itunes takes forever over Home Sharing

I can find my shared library, but it takes forever to load, and on one of my iPods, never does.

Is this due to the size of my library?

16. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Most likely!