iTunes will not launch

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Aznfatlard, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Aznfatlard macrumors newbie

Okay, let me give you guys a walkthrough of what I did.

I found this application called CleanMyMac on Youtube and I proceeded to download it. It basically clears cache, log files, deletes universal binaries and other language files of all your applications. I cleared all the cache, log and language files. I selected only my third-party applications and iTunes and Safari for deleting universal binaries. After I removed everything, I quit the application. When I opened iTunes I found out that my spacebar didn't control the pause/play like it used to. This also happened to the skip/go back song with the left and right arrows and the selecting up or down with the up or down arrows. But the Fn keys which controlled the play/pause/forward/backward still works. Then I realized that my one plugin, SRS iWOW, wasn't working. I checked online to find anything but I couldn't find a solution for this. So I thought of deleting iTunes. I deleted iTunes using AppCleaner, which deletes all the .plist and other files hidden deep in /Library. I downloaded iTunes 8.2 again and proceeded to install it. It installed fine, but when I launch it, it goes to the setup assistant for about 4 seconds, then quits. I have reinstalled it and it does not work. All of my applications still work and I have a Time Machine backup before this happened. I don't know how to bring back applications with Time Machine or how to restore settings if I do a complete reformat. That is it, I just want my iTunes back.

Sorry for my long post; it is my first one here.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You cleared the universal binaries for iTunes and Safari? I don't think you should have done that. Does Safari still work?

To restore from a TM backup all you need to do is go into TM, navigate to your Applications folder, select iTunes, and "Restore."

3. Aznfatlard thread starter macrumors newbie

safari still works.

When I restore it, will it restore all the old settings/files?