iTunes will not mount Audio CD (does show, but will not stay)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by PracticalMac, Jul 27, 2010.

1. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

MBP 2.3GHz, 10.5.8
    iTunes 9.2.1

I load Audio CD in drive, iTunes tries to read it, briefly displaying the CD contents, then flickering/stuttering over it, finally going back to the library.
    If I try and drag it to library, a message comes up "cannot read".

I loaded a data CD-R, mounts and accessible, no problem.

Any suggestions?

2. ReggaeFire macrumors 6502

Not sure if this is what you're referring to, but there has been a loooong standing bug in iTunes (since 5 or 6 I think) that some CDs will load the tracknames and then vanish. You then eject and reinsert the disc and it will mount fine.

3. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Humm, OK. Thanks :)

4. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

NOPE, that did NOT work, but it gave me a clue.

What looked like is happening was difficulty in getting the track names and applying it to the songs on CD.

I simply disconnected from internet, loaded CD, ripped the music, and then go on internet and get track/album names,

5. Mac-Xpert macrumors 6502

I've been having that problem with my iMac as well. But i've only started to notice it after I installed 10.6 on it (previously running 10.4) I thought it was related to the OS. But then again I'm not sure because in the same timeframe I've bought a new iPod touch and started to import CD's again. So maybe the problem was there in 10.4 but I didn't notice it because I didn't import CD's regularly.

6. Jack Mac macrumors newbie

I just started experiencing the same thing - The CD starts to mount, iTunes shows the message "Querying the Gracenotes Database", then the tracks show up for a brief flicker and then disappear.

I have to go into Disk Utility to mount the CD.

I'm on 10.5.8 and 9.2

7. Big Byte macrumors regular

Same problem here, and running 10.5.8 and 9.2.1, as well.

8. djbethell macrumors newbie

Try this...

Yep, same story here. Mine makes a big load fuss of going in and then when getting the CD track information it flickers and disappears, seconds later it gives a big old sigh like it's died. I have to then go to eject it from the terminal in Utilities by typing in - drutil eject - and then pressing return.
    I've just had a new hard drive fitted (only after 2 years) and wondered if :apple: had broken something somehow, or in fact I just had a real dud of a Mac (I hear it can happen - :eek: shock, gasp horror).
    But I simply went to iTunes preferences and clicked General, down below is the "automatically retrieve CD track names from the internet" choice. I un-clicked this (realising I've never had it on before so it must be an automatic Apple decision with 9.2).
    Now my CD comes on and stays on then I go to Advanced in the toolbar at top and click "get track names" (which I always did before anyway). Voila! Problem solved!

Wow! I've been to so many forums for advice but this is the first time I've come here for advice and actually left a solution. Isn't there a secret badge or handshake or something for this?

9. MACMAD08 macrumors newbie

djbethell

djbethell
    Welcome to the world of Mac. The special badge is something that you normally can't see without a special tool. Its is a mirror. That smile on your face is your secret mac badge for helping for no other reason than wanting to.
    A hearty handshake to you is in my thoughts!

10. ReggaeFire macrumors 6502

Wow, I never had the problem to that extent. For me the discs always stay mounted in Finder, it's just iTunes that stop seeing it. A simple press of the eject button and sliding the disc back in always solves the problem for me. I get it about once every 20-25 discs I import, and have for years (over multiple computers). iLounge or someone used to note that the issue hadn't yet been resolved in each review of an iTunes update, but they gave up after a few years.

11. taximan100 macrumors newbie

Thanks for that info and it all works perfectly now.

It must have been the last iTunes update that set the auto-track names thing.

Once the disk is mounted, select Get Track Names in the Advanced menu, and once the track names have been fetched, import the CD and voila!!

Thanks again

12. bsk macrumors newbie

The first part works for me - the CD mounts. But absolutely nothing happens when I try to get the track names.

13. jlgottlieb macrumors newbie

same problem

By unchecking the auto import names from internet, I too eliminated the flickering of iTunes, but I am unable to fetch the track names from the advanced menu.

14. bsk macrumors newbie