Resolved iTunes will not open

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bobfitz14, Oct 5, 2013.

1. bobfitz14, Oct 5, 2013
    Last edited: May 2, 2014

bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

I typically have iTunes open on my laptop 24/7 and rarely quit the application but last night I did so. So this morning I took the LSAT and came back and tried to open iTunes via the play button on the keyboard...I get the dialog box saying "iTunes quit unexpectedly...ignor...report...reopen" yadda yadda.
    Tried it again, no luck. I used Disk Utility to repair my hard drive and that seemed to have held up. However, I've repaired my permissions at least three times (including through disk utility via holding cmd+r during start up) and it just doesn't seem to work. I get a lot of error logs that come up, and every time I repair my permissions and verify the disk the same errors show up...so it clearly isn't repairing anything.

I've also downloaded iTunes again from their website seeing if that did anything and of course it didn't. I also tried resetting permissions via cmd+r during bootup and going into Terminal, using the command "resetpassword" to reset permissions on my account there. I am the only user on this computer and that still led to no change.

Pardon the lack of a screenshot of my error log when I run DU to repair permissions, I'll add that in a post shortly. I was curious if anyone had any suggestions in the mean time?

Also I have the most recent version of iTunes and have restarted my computer over a dozen times today. I do have a time machine backup if I absolutely need to although it has been ~10 days. Not a big issue, I am trying to save restoring as a last resort although at this point it is tempting.

2. bobfitz14 thread starter macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

The list goes on and on for every language available to iTunes. Repairing permissions will result in the "permissions repaired" notice however if I click verify disk again the same errors will show up and the cycle is endless...

Attached Files:

3. speedplay1, Oct 5, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2013

speedplay1 macrumors newbie

Work in Progress

As I stated in a different post here, iTunes 11.1.1 is a work in progress! After doing a clean install, I ran Verify Disk Permissions in Safe Mode and discovered some 200 lines of faulty Disk Permissions. I then ran Repair Disk Permissions in both Safe Mode and in Recovery Disk. Same issue. Even after running Repair Disk in Recovery Disk, the faulty Disk Permissions continues to reappear. Apparently, iTunes 11 is still a "work in progress." One can only hope that by the time Apple releases Mavericks, it will have figured out how to resolve a number of issues still plaguing iTunes 11. The problem seems to be that Apple is trying to make iTunes into a Swiss Army Knife by being all things to all people - guess what, "It ain't workin'!" With each successive release of iTunes, it brings more problems with it. Since I don't use iTunes that much, I plan on just deleting it in the future. Incidentally, a neat little program called AppTrap will remove iTunes and all of its associated files. And if you like to clean out caches, try Cocktail - it deletes user, system, and Internet caches!

4. Thraun macrumors regular

Thraun

OP - have you tried reinstalling the operating system from your recovery drive? It won't mess with your personal data, just reinstall all OS X files including iTunes. That should do it.

speedplay1 - I have been using iTunes since it debuted, and I'm still loving it. It's never given me any problems whatsoever, certainly nothing major that a quickly-released update didn't fix. Maybe you just don't know how to use it properly.

5. bobfitz14 thread starter macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

Reinstalling the OS won't get rid of my files? I've never read up on that option because I've always assumed that it would essentially wipe my drive clean and just start fresh as if it were right out of the box.

6. Thraun macrumors regular

Thraun

Nope, it totally keeps all your stuff in place. A clean install involves using disk utility to wipe the drive first.

7. bobfitz14 thread starter macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

Reinstalling the OS X files via the disk utility on bootup worked! Thanks for your advice and sorry to those who find this a redundant thread.

8. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

Just this morning, I am having an issue with iTunes 11.1.1 where it will bounce on the dock for a 'long time', and then stop bouncing. No iTunes window comes up, and no errors. If I click-hold on the dock icon, I get the 'Force Quit' option. Force quit, and try to restart, and it does the same thing. Bounce bounce bounce, *PFFT* nothing...

I will try a restart and see what happens, but usually iTunes is reliable and always starts right up...

Is 11.1.1 having issues with anyone else?

9. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Restart your computer, definitely.