iTunes will not play any m4a files

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sebby, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Sebby macrumors 6502a

I helped a friend move his iTunes library from an old PowerPC PowerBook to an Intel MacBook Pro. We followed the method as per http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4527 and used an external drive to transfer the library across.

It all seemed to be fine, but any m4a file will not play. No error, no nothing; they just won't play. They won't open in QuickTime or VLC either. And it's not a case of the files not existing or being in a different place. They are present and correct and iTunes is referring to them correctly.

It's not an authorisation issue, either; the computer is authorised, plus many of the tracks are not purchases anyway, but rather CDs that were imported into iTunes on the old computer.

Any ideas? I'm at a total loss!

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Since you said none of the files will play, maybe it's a permissions problem.

- Quit iTunes.
    - Go to User/Music/ folder
    - Get info on iTunes folder
    - Set permission of owner to "Read & Write"
    - Apply to enclosed items (might be under the gear button)

3. Sebby thread starter macrumors 6502a

Many thanks for your reply. Unfortunately the permissions are correctly set.

4. Sebby thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. ambergarth macrumors newbie

"Itunes not playing m4a, vob, etc file formats" is a common thing. You can either go through the Apple support guidelines or try another player. I used VlC, but it helped me time to time, so I switched to Elmedia Player. Check it. Maybe this will hepl you.