iTunes will not restore iPhone

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jbgc, Oct 22, 2011.

1. jbgc macrumors member

Hello,

I have an iPhone 3GS that I am going to jailbreak/unlock for a friend. I want to use 4.3.3 to do this so I downloaded the stock firmware and alt/restored it in iTunes. After a few seconds it pops up with this error.

I have 2 Macs and 2 Windows (7) computers available to me but I can't seem to get it to work on any of the computers.

Why won't it let me simply restore? It should be simple enough, I've done it 100 times in the past and this iPhone 3GS has never even been jailbroken before. I put it into DFU mode, etc, but nothing seems to work.

I would really appreciate any help!

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You cannot restore to any firmware you want without shsh blobs.
    ITunes will only allow you to restore to the latest version out and that at the moment is 5.0

3. jbgc thread starter macrumors member

There has to be some way to simply restore, correct? I've never ran into this problem before.

4. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Like AJ said, without blobs, you can only restore to OS5. It's seen like Apple still some how allow 3GS to restore to 4.1. So, you can try this as well.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No.
    It's not possible to restore to older firmware without having the shsh blobs saved on cydia or locally for the particular device and firmware version.
    It's been like that since the 3GS came out.

Edit.
    Like my friend Crx said above for some reason Apple is still releasing blobs for 4.1 so only option is 4.1 or 5.0 if you don't have any other blobs saved.

6. jbgc thread starter macrumors member

Sorry I seem to have mis-comminucated. The iPhone 3GS of which I am trying to restore is FW version 3.1.3. So I would not be downgrading, I would simply be updating.

Would that work?

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nope, I don't think you're getting it.
    Research shsh blobs to understand what they are and do.

8. jbgc thread starter macrumors member

I know what SHSH blobs are and what they do, I've been jailbreaker since 1.1 and I've saved them in the past.

In the past I've had to edit the /private/etc/hosts file to get this to work but now iTunes won't let me.

If I am completely wrong, please point me in the right direction on how to jailbreak AND unlock this iPhone. It's a virgin 3GS running 3.1.3, I simply want to unlock it for T-Mobile use.

Sorry If I am confusing or asking dumb questions.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

When you're editing the hosts files you point the shsh blob check to cydias server. If there is no blobs for that particular device saved on cydias server then the restore will never go thru. That has been going on for over 2 year now since the release of the 3GS.
    Like CRX mentioned above for some reason Apple is still releasing blobs for 4.1 so you can create a custom JB 4.1 ipsw with pwnage tool in order to maintain the unlockable baseband from 3.1.3 and update to 4.1
    Then open cydia and install ultrasnow to unlock.

10. jbgc thread starter macrumors member

oh I see. So it is completely and utterly IMPOSSIBLE to update Tao 4.3.3? And my only real options are to update to 4.1 or 5.0?

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes.

12. kmvguy83 macrumors member

only option is 5.0, not even 4.1 unless u can kick it out of recovery

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

False.

14. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Concur with AJ on this. This is totally false. If possible, can you elaborate what you said and why you will need to kick it out of recovery when you create a customs firmware, UPGRADING from 3.1.3 i.e from lower baseband to higher baseband. :D

15. jbgc thread starter macrumors member

I downloaded and restored from iOS 4.1 and it worked perfectly. It was a simply jailbreak and unlock from there.

Thanks to Applejuiced and all others who helped. Problem solved.