iTunes Window Bigger Than Desktop!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by R.Youden, Apr 25, 2009.

1. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

I opened iTunes this morning and the window is now bigger than my desktop. I have not changed the monitor resolution or anything like that. I can't reach the tab on the bottom right to change the size of the iTunes window so I am pretty stuck. I guess that there is a preferences file I can trash which tells iTunes what size to be on launch but I need confirmation of this first before I break the whole thing!

Thanks.

2. Jasonc23 macrumors newbie

Change your screen resolution and see if any of them will let you change it

3. iBecks macrumors 6502

You could try repairing permissions, then if that doesn't work delete the iTunes preference file located in ~/Library/Preferences. I can't remember the exact name of the prefrence file, but if you search in that folder for "iTunes" a file will come up with a .plist extension that you need to delete. Keep in mind that deleting this .plist will get rid of all the preferences, so you'd do good to remember them.

You could also try downloading iTunes from Apple and reinstall it.

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Wouldn't just closing the (main iTunes) window and then reopen it again help?

(That's what I used to do when I had the iTunes window on an external 24" screen at work and then came home to find the window huge and offset).

5. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

Or you can open the 'Script Editor' application and paste this into it and then run it.

tell application "iTunes"
    set bounds of window 1 to {296, 97, 800, 600}
    end tell

6. AoFFiE macrumors newbie

I believe hold down an option key (alt) and click on the green button on the top left corner would help.

7. ArmchairDeity macrumors newbie

You guys both rock...

chas0001, I never thought of using AppleScript to fix this issue. Somehow I always forget that it's there and, even when I remember it's there I end up more frustrated than not trying to use it for anything. But, this script worked a charm and I am appreciative.

I've been using OS X since v. 10.3 and didn't know about the option-click trick on the green +... AoFFiE gets the "omg too cool" handy trick award. I'm assuming this will work on Safari, too? The "zoom" button on Apple's software isn't consistent in its behavior and, personally, I think that sucks... but this will be helpful!

J

8. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

9. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

Point is the OP cannot see it, I am assuming that only the contents of the window are visible, and none of the window elements that allow him/her to manipulate it.

OP: another option would be to activate (or turn on then activate) Spaces, and move the window to where you can see the Red Yellow Green buttons, then resize it as necessary. That's my 2¢

10. ArmchairDeity macrumors newbie

[SARCASM]
    :rolleyes: OMG! REALLY? NO CRAP? I had no idea what that durned green button was for! Thank you for saving me from my massive ignorance!
    [/SARCASM]

Seriously... the "green button" has an inconsistent function in Apple's various software packages. It's SUPPOSED to resize the window to the size of the current monitor (which it mostly does)? But under iTunes, it sure don't (without the option key). The green button toggles iTunes from the mini-box to the full-size window instead of resizing the window to the size of the current monitor.

My issue is that the resizing handle was off the screen down and to the left from running iTunes on my 24" Cinema Display... so even though I could see the green button it did me no good whatsoever. At least not until I found out about the option-key modifier for it. THAT is sweet.

11. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

The green button on iTunes toggles the miniplayer.

12. cmendill macrumors member

As a person who just had the exact same problem, I too would like to add that the "thats what the green button is for" guy is a mean person.

Option + green button, never would have thought of that.

Thanks

13. getrfreakon macrumors newbie

getrfreakon

Thanks!

My iTunes window also mysteriously changed size to where I couldn't reach the bottom right to resize it, and I believe in giving credit where credit is due, so THANKS for saving me from potentially hours of frustration over one little detail.