iTunes wiped... now I have all sorts of problems!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Moggo, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Moggo macrumors newbie

So, to spare you a long-winded explanation, this is what happened.

- Recently I needed to restart my laptop to complete installation of an unrelated program. I went to press 'restart later', but accidently hit 'restart now' and it started shutting down.

- During this, I had iTunes open and running.

- I restart, and when I open up iTunes EVERYTHING is gone. Nothing remains at all.

- Confused, I try to import a 'Previous Library' file into iTunes to attempt to recover all the files, but nothing works at all.

- After a few days, I located the files and re-added them to iTunes from scratch.

So here's my problem:

Now, when I sync, iTunes DOES recognise my iPhone, but it recognises it as a separate device and refuses to let me sync my phone with my iTunes library.

So basically, I have two separate libraries on iTunes and it's doing my head in. All I want to do is sync my iPhone with my new library, but am I assuming right in saying a full restore is the only way of achieving this? And won't that mean I will lose all my contacts and text messages with no hope of keeping them?

I was hoping for suggestions on what to do, and which way to go about it. Do I bite the bullet and start again, or is there a way I'm ignorant too?

Any help would be fantastic! Cheers!

2. Moggo thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmm, not sure. The difference between his fix and my issue is that I'm still using the same laptop I originally synced it with, so there's not two different library files...

Unless I'm missing something?