iTunes Wireless Sync

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ICEMAN 316, Mar 30, 2012.

1. ICEMAN 316 macrumors member

I've been trying to wireless sync my iPad 3 but it's not working. I have set both the iPad and iTunes to to wireless sync option but it's not working. Also I do have the iPad plugged into an outlet and both of them are on the same network. When I go into the settings>general>iTunes wifi sync the sync now button is greyed out. I've tried to search the forum but couldn't figure out what's wrong. Thanks for the help

2. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

I've had this problem as well and can not figure it out, maybe somebody can helps us.

3. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

Where is it getting hung up? If it's getting hung up in the backup phase, it means that you need to do a full backup before the sync can continue. I would recommend syncing via USB first and then syncing via wifi afterwards in order to finish the first backup.

4. ICEMAN 316 thread starter macrumors member

It's not starting the wireless sync at all. I have synced the iPad 4-5 times already with the apple USB plug. The problem is that I can't even start the itunes wireless sync. :confused:

5. sekazi macrumors 6502

It is hit or miss for me. One day it will work. The next day it will say iPad not found. The 3rd day it will just never show up.

6. CoachDJones macrumors newbie

7. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

iTunes wifi sync requires a first time sync via USB. You may need to power cycle the iPad and the computer.

Are you a Mac or Windows user? Windows users need to follow a few more steps.

Windows users for itunes wifi sync:
    1. enable upnp http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941206
    2. Ensure SSDP service is running in Automatic mode.
    3. Upnp & SSDP would take 10 minutes to discover the device
    4. Ensure TCP ports 123 and 3689, as well as UDP ports 123 and 5353 are allowed.
    5. Power cycle ipad first to see if it works, if not, power cycle windows computer too.

8. otis123 macrumors 6502a

Wifi sync is just crap, desktop iTunes is garbage especially since I switched my library over to my windows rig, I miss the stability of the Mac version, but my MacBook isn't always on, and it's low on hdd space too.

9. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

I agree that WiFi sync isn't great right now. I use it but if I need a serious sync, I just connect via USB. I just don't trust it even though it does work on my machines.

10. orlandocano macrumors regular

Wow -- i did not know so many people were this unhappy with wifi sync! i love it and it has worked as fast and as reliable as USB sync between my iMac and iDevices.

When I got my iPad 3 I could not get it to wifi sync.. but then I realized that it is because I had forgotten to check the "Sync this iPad over wifi" checkbox on iTunes.. Sounds silly, but this could be the reason.. at least it was for me.. its easy to forget to do this because it has been so long since i first had to do it during release of iOS 5.0

Turn on iTunes and hook iPad up via USB... then devices>iPad>Summary>Scroll down and check the "Sync this iPad over wifi".

Please don't take it as an insult that i am making such a "simple" suggestion .. its just that i am very knowledgeable about idevices and apple computers and this is the step that i had forgotten to do when my wifi sync was not working! if you had already done the step i described above, please disregard this post...

11. jw6961 macrumors regular

jw6961

Seems to always give me problems.. I'm sticking with USB sync for now.