iTunes with external drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vmm7, Sep 5, 2011.

1. vmm7 macrumors newbie

Hello All,

I would like to store my music files on an external hard drive, but still be able to use iTunes on my internal computer. I understand that I won't be able to play music unless the external drive but is it possible to open iTunes without having the external drive connected?

Ideally, without connecting the external hard drive, I still want to use iTunes for various other reasons.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

2. thenumbersrbad macrumors 6502

thenumbersrbad

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

It is possible but it will create another library on your computer...I believe you have to leave the harddrive unplugged and open iTunes holding down command or option ... Or try opening iTunes without the drive plugged in and it might ask you which library you want to use andthen you can make a new one

3. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

I have a symbolic link pointing to my NAS from inside the standard iTunes folder. Just redirecting the media folder.
    This way the library stay on the iMac and I can start iTunes without power up my NAS. Does not too much sense except you watch video streams or listen to radio via iTunes. If you start sync or download apps or music you mess up and need to manually clean up. Sometimes happen to me.