iTunes with external hard drive.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Googon, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Googon macrumors member

Alright, so I am getting my MacBook Pro in the mail soon, very soon. And I have a really important question about iTunes. I have 60gb of music on my external hard drive, with a capacity of 500gb.

On my PC i would just drag the folders from my hard drive into the iTunes window and it will make the library and stuff, but the music WON'T transfer onto my internal hard drive. With my MacBook Pro, I am going to be taking it back and forth from school, my house, college, and friends homes.

And the whole point of me making is thread is that when I had to use my external hard drive, I unplugged it, and took it to a friends house and when I was finished over there, I tried to plug it back in to use iTunes but it said that it could not find the file.

So is there any way I can make something like this NOT happen with my MacBook.

2. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

My iTunes always copies the music file into my my music folder and organizes it into Artists/Albums etc. I'm pretty sure it did this by default. So yes the macbook should copy all of your music onto your hard drive once you load it into iTunes.

EDIT: Make sure your settings in iTunes are like this before importing. This panel can be found in the iTunes Preferences and then in Advanced and under General. Post if you have any difficulties. :)

Only my name is blocked out for obvious reasons.

[​IMG]

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

When you first setup itunes, it will ask you whether you want to organize the itunes folder yourself or have itunes do it for you. let itunes do it for you, and it's very simple to maintain.

4. Googon thread starter macrumors member

I don't think you understand, I want all my music to STAY on the external hard drive, and when I unplug and plug it back in from my laptop, it won't forget where the music is located. This has happened to me so many times with iTunes.

5. djtrippin macrumors newbie

If you have your iTunes library file set to look for your music folder on your external hard drive, it will do what you are looking for. In the preferences window, under the advanced pane you have to change the music folder location to wherever you have it like Xander562 posted.