iTunes woes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BadlyDrawnGirl, Nov 8, 2007.

1. BadlyDrawnGirl macrumors member

I've been having ages of trouble with the latest iTunes updates, starting around mid-May. It all seemed to be caused at first by the Gapless Playback feature since when I managed to catch it and disable it in time my library ran fine...until the latest update. Now it will not load at all and crashes the entire system, forcing a manual restart, as well as my iPod (it only manages to snyc about 100 songs onto it before it dies). It has been suggested that my problem lies in a corrupt file somewhere amongst the 3,000-some songs on my library. Can anyone suggest to me a way of figuring out exactly which song/album is causing the problem without having to recreate my library song by song? :( I just don't have the time to sit and tinker with iTunes for ten hours straight...

2. BadlyDrawnGirl thread starter macrumors member

No one's got ANY ideas? :( Am I really going to have to go song by song to figure out where the problem is? Curse you iTunes...

3. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

You're not alone, I've had many issues with Itunes. Though none of mine caused the machine to lock up.

When you mentioned it crashing your system - do you get the kernel panic screen? (the multi-lingual message stating telling you to restart)

Also - some info on what version of itunes, and what OS you're running (assuming Apple) would help others to help you.

Have you tried launching "disk utility" and verifying disk permissions, verifying disk and/or repairing?

4. BadlyDrawnGirl thread starter macrumors member

I don't get any sort of error message, no. Just the spinning beach ball of death. Some people seem to have luck with just waiting for 5-10 minutes for it to unlock itself but I've left it for up to an hour and it just remains frozen.

I am currently running OS X 10.4.10 and I have updated to the latest version of iTunes (7.5 I believe). I have repaired disk permissions and run disk utility many times to no avail.

5. BadlyDrawnGirl thread starter macrumors member

Well, as I didn't get much of a response I just decided to go ahead and rebuild my entire library manually, letter by letter. After about six hours of messing around with it I FINALLY have a library which will open without freezing or hesitating and which does not spontaneously crash in the middle of a song. Woohoo!

That said, I have NEVER seen a more problematic software upgrade in my life...there were no less than six files which caused the program to crash (some were individual songs, in other cases it seemed to be the album artwork that caused everything to hang up). Now that they're weeded out, it's fine, but what on earth happened to iTunes so that I could play these songs before but not with the updated version? Was it the way they were encoded? And why did the ARTWORK seem to cause problems as well as the actual songs? Has this happened to anyone before? Just out of curiosity...