iTunes won't ADD/PLAY CERTAIN MP3'S.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jtg618, Sep 27, 2009.

1. jtg618 macrumors newbie

So the folks at Apple discussion boards overlooked my topic, hopefully I can find more success here. I'm going through a frustrating issue where I can't add nor play certain MP3's anymore, and these same MP3's are ones I used to listen to a few weeks ago in iTunes 9. Is this some major bug? Here's my post copy and pasted from Apple.

Just to note, previously on iTunes 8, I had no issues. Starting with iTunes 9, at first I noticed that 9 would delete random albums' cover art on its own, and I'd always have to restore it. Now more recently, a lot of my albums I use to play with no problem, are not working anymore. They've lost their cover art, and just won't play. I try to delete them and re-add them, and now they won't add. I know there's nothing wrong with the files themselves because I was just listening to these same files and syncing them to my iPhone a few weeks ago. When 9 was first release they all worked fine. And it really ***** when some of the albums are your more favorite ones to listen to. Is anyone else suffering from this? I've searched and searched and all of these solutions of maybe the tags being messed up is not the issue. So is this a major bug with iTunes 9.01? It's pretty frustrating. Thanks to anyone that can provide assistance.

Help please?

2. HBOC macrumors 68020

are the songs in your iTunes library? You can see the said MP3s in your iTunes? If so, click on one of the files that won't play, and select "get info". Take a screenshot of this (or hit command+shift+4 to select the window). I am interested in seeing what is going on. I have never heard of this problem.

You haven't messed with the xml or any files?

3. jtg618 thread starter macrumors newbie

They were in my library. I had around 14-16 gigs of full albums, and out of the blue, random albums would just stop playing/lose their cover art. I thought hey, let me delete these files and see if I can add them back in to see if that would fix. Come to see, they won't even add back into iTunes. I've done things like delete my whole library, and re-install iTunes&Quicktime. Everything is a no go. And it's only been since iTunes 9.0.1 where's this begun happening. Whats frustrating is these same mp3's will still play perfectly in WMP. I would take a screenshot but I can't even add these albums back into iTunes.

EDIT: to provide an example; Wu-Tang's two disc album, Wu-Tang Forever, each disc was in a separate folder. Disc 2 can be added/played in iTunes just fine, but out of the blue, disc one lost it's cover art and can't be added anymore.

4. sobebottles macrumors newbie

It has something to do with the ID3 tags

I've had this problem before, and I'm not really sure why this is, but if you remove the ID3 tags from the mp3s, they will be able to be added to iTunes again, and will play just fine.

There are a bunch of programs that will do this, the one that I use is available here: http://www.mp3tag.de/en/download.html

Once you download the program, run it drag the file that's giving you problems into the big white space in the program's window. Then right-click on it and click "Remove tag" in the menu that appears. A dialouge box will pop up asking if you're sure you want to remove the tag, click yes.

Now try adding the file to itunes again, it should work! You might have to re-add some of the information, like artist and year.

Hope this helps!!!

5. yashrg macrumors regular

yashrg

Is there a mac version of the software to do that?