iTunes won't convert WMA files?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by marc55, Jan 22, 2014.

1. marc55, Jan 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2014

marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

I'm just finding out that iTunes on a MacBook will not convert WMA files.

I'm used to a Windows PC where iTunes readily converts WMA and MP3.

Why does iTunes on a Windows PC convert when iTunes on a Mac will not? Is this another way in which Apple makes the user experience so good?

I have a lot of music in WMA and MP3, so what is the easiest way to get WMA and MP3 files into iTunes?

Thank you

2. Lord Hamsa macrumors 6502a

Are the WMA file protected with DRM? That may be why it works on Windows - the machine is already authorized for the DRM files.

3. marc55 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marc55

No they are not protected.

I think you misunderstood my concern.

I read that iTunes on a Mac will not convert WMA into iTunes like iTunes on a Windows PC will.

So, I'm wondering what the best and easiest way is to convert regular WMA files for iTunes on a Mac?

4. Lord Hamsa macrumors 6502a

Well, the MP3 files are no issue - iTunes will import and play those without even converting.

Since the WMA files are not DRM-protected, the two best methods I can think of are 1) to find a program to convert WMA to a more iTunes-acceptable format (MP3, MP4, or M4A) - they exist, but may not be available for free - or 2) if you have access to a Windows machine, import the WMA files into iTunes then copy the M4A files to the Mac.

No idea why the OS X version of iTunes doesn't have this feature built-in, but it probably has something to do with licensing issues with Microsoft, which don't apply when making a program for Windows but do when using the formats/codecs/whatever on another platform. I.e., Apple is unlikely to want to pay Microsoft $X for each copy of iTunes on OS X for a feature relatively few users probably need.

5. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Easiet way is to find a PC and have iTunes do its work. WMA support is almost non existant on the Mac, due to iTunes.

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The answer to your question is simple. WMA (Windows Media Audio) is a proprietary Microsoft format. On Windows, iTunes has access to the APIs required to convert WMA to other formats. On the Mac and Linux, those APIs do not exist. You need third party software. There are WMA converters available for the Mac.

My recommendation is to use Telestream's Flip4Mac. Telestream holds licenses from Microsoft to handle Windows Media on the Mac. The paid version of Flip4Mac will convert WMA to other formats. You may install the free version and then attempt to play WMA in iTunes. You have nothing to lose.

7. Fishrrman macrumors G3

[[ I have a lot of music in WMA and MP3, so what is the easiest way to get WMA and MP3 files into iTunes? ]]

My advice (others' may differ):

For the WMA files, I suggest "All2MP3", a free app which you can find here:
    http://www.tresrrr.com/All2MP3/ENGLISH.html
    All2MP3 can do "batch conversions", and you can choose whether to delete or to retain the WMA originals after conversion. I suggest you select the "best" quality for converting.

Once this is done...

...DON'T convert the mp3 tunes that you have.
    iTunes will play these just fine.
    Any "conversion" you do, may actually lower the sound quality of the files (through de-compression and re-compression, remember that mp3 is a "lossy" format to begin with, and additional musical content may be lost in the re-compression process).

8. marc55 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marc55

Thanks guys.

I downloaded Real Player and am now converting the WMA music to MP3. Not as bad as I thought; I only have about 4,000 WMA files.