iTunes won't let me play music!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Swerdsi, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Swerdsi macrumors newbie

Swerdsi

Whenever I wanna play music on my iTunes, it stays at 0:00 .....

I've tried everything so far. I can't even go on youtube and hear the music. Yes, my volumes up, everything is plugged in, I went to system preferences and checked the sound, everythings fine. I re-installed iTunes, nothing happened... I can still buy songs and it goes on my iPod...

The :apple: I have is an iMac G5 (tiger) and yes, I updated iTunes and the rest of my updates.

Can someone please help me? I'd greatly appreciate it!!!! :confused:

2. celticpride678

Have you tried repairing permissions and verify disk in Disk Utility?

3. devburke Guest

That sounds like a much bigger issue than iTunes if you can't even get sound from YouTube. iTunes has no effect on YouTube.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, and you mean the music you want to hear is unavailable on YouTube, so you can't go there to temporarily hear it in the mean time until you get iTunes working. If that's the case, check out Grooveshark, that's much better fit for streaming music than YouTube.

4. Swerdsi thread starter macrumors newbie

Swerdsi

5. JediMeister macrumors 68040

This is behavior I've seen typically caused by incompatible QuickTime components. Search in ~/Library/QuickTime (if it exists) and /Library/QuickTime. By default, unless you have non-Apple codecs installed, you should only have the AppleIntermediateCodec.component (comes with QuickTime) and AppleMPEG2Codec.component (which comes with iMovie). Pull any extra .component files to your Desktop, restart the system, try playing back your iTunes music or Youtube videos.

@ devburke: While its true iTunes itself has no effect on Youtube, all audio/video content viewed/streamed on a Mac goes through QuickTime. iTunes is basically a fancy user interface for QuickTime.

6. Swerdsi thread starter macrumors newbie

Swerdsi

Well now my damn keyboard isn't working... which doesn't help me =[

7. dandaman2 macrumors regular

This is going from bad to worse.
    Um...
    Where's your closest apple store? he he...
    this might prove to be a job for a genius.