iTunes won't let me play songs I bought

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ndDesign, Jan 5, 2010.

1. ndDesign macrumors newbie

I try to play songs in iTunes (ver. 9.0.2) on my MacBook Pro (OS X.5.8) and some (note all) won't play and a box pops up and says:

"This computer is not authorized to play "(song title here)". Would you like to authorized it?"

I type in my password and then is says:
    "You cannot authorized more than 5 computers.

Makes sense, except to my knowledge, this is the only computer that I have authorized and the only computer I use.

I tried to repair the permissions and some iTunes things did come up but I've restarted iTunes and am still having the same problem.

Also, the songs that won't play are ones I purchased, but there are some songs that I bought that I can play.

Any thoughts??

2. wjlee91 macrumors member

mm

one thing you should do is
    deauthorize all computers from your itunes account
    then you can authorize your computer

3. 1Tuneshter macrumors newbie

That is because Itunes now officially s*^#s, and it is going to be uninstalled, I haven't used it in a while, but I have kept it updated and my computer is authorized, but I have several songs that I PUCHASED with my hard earned money, that I can no longer play, that is BS, the whole authorization thing is BS. This is why I thought I would try it out, to see if it has gotted anymore user friendly... NOT!... I won't be back, so no need for feedback, don't waste the energy, I already wasted enough energy for everyone...

4. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

a) this topic is two years old, b) did you try another user account, and c) have you authorized five computers? Even if not, oftentimes simply deauthorizing all of them and then reauthorizing as needed works excellently.

FWIW, I've not had a single issue authorizing any computer, or playing any song. And authorization is only needed for DRMed files, which were removed quite a long time ago. Any iTunes Plus music doesn't need authorization.

5. GingerCloud macrumors newbie

one solution: re-download the song.

Only one song in an album I purchased could not play. My Mac kept asking me to authorize this computer to play track. Regardless whether it was authorized or not, it didn't work. I tried deauthorizing and reauthorizing, numerous times. Finally I just re-downloaded the track off iTunes. Itunes at least recalls that you already paid for it, so if you have to pay for it again- you are probably using the wrong account. You simply need to enter the correct account id and password. You don't need to pay anymore money. Once song is re-added into your library, you will notice that there is a duplicate of the same song. One will work and one won't. Delete the faulty song and move it to trash. Has nothing to do with authorizations- seems more just like song turned into a dud file for no apparent reason, and needs to be re-loaded.