iTunes won't let me Sync

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jocknroll, Apr 17, 2010.

1. jocknroll macrumors newbie

Apologies if this is a regular question or one that has been asked before but I'm new here.

I dropped my old iPhone and got the old white screen of death. I got a new phone and Synced it. However for the past week or so I've been unable to Sync my new iPhone even though I've done it before. iTunes says it cannot read the contents of my iPhone. It says I should go to the Summary tab in iPhone preferences and click Restore to restore the iPhone to factory settings. I don't really want to do this as I'll lose all my contacts, apps, data etc.

Does anyone know a way I can backup my iPhone contacts, apps etc before I Restore it?

cheers

Paul

2. mreddys10 macrumors regular

Try right-click on the phone is the left column, and select 'backup'. This will backup all your data.

When was the last time you backed up your phone? All the info until your last sync should be stored in a backup, and you can restore to that later.

3. jocknroll thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried that. Only gives me two options: (a) Open in New Window or (b) Eject.

4. mreddys10 macrumors regular

Then you might have no choice but to restore. Did your phone have all the data you need when you synced the last time?

As a last option, you can try and see if you can do the 'backup' step on a different computer, with a different cable. This will confirm if there is a problem with your phone, or with your computer.

5. jocknroll thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes. I synced the new phone as soon as I got it but there are no Device Backups under Edit, Preferences, Devices.

So I'll have to take a note by hand/key of all 183 contacts and re-input them! Bugger!

Cheers anyway.

6. mreddys10 macrumors regular

ouch! Sorry I couldn't help you any further.

7. jocknroll thread starter macrumors newbie

Gonna Bump all my contacts to my good lady's iPhone, Restore iPhone and Bump them back. How's that for a plan? Photos and music already on PC. Will lose text messages but a small price to pay.

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-