iTunes won't load - Please HELP!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ValerieGuiles, Nov 9, 2009.

1. ValerieGuiles macrumors newbie

I recently uninstalled a programme that took a lot of my computer with it, fortunately I was right near a mac store, and they fixed it and updated it from Tiger to Leopard and everything is working as it should except iTunes. A message popped up when I tried to open it, and then once I downloaded it again, it said the same thing:

"The file "iTune's Library" cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes."

Please help! Even if I can't get all my music back, (which would be sad), I would at least like the programme available to start again....thank you SO much for your help!!

Valerie

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Get iTunes from here
    http://www.apple.com/itunes/

Not sure why you didn't "download" the latest version of iTunes. My guess is torrenting fail.

3. davegregory macrumors regular

Sorry to hear your iTunes is not openning correctly. Just to clarify, you're saying you downloaded in installed the latest version of iTunes? Which as of me writing this is v.9.0.2. If that's correct and your iTunes still gives you the message about your library being created by a newer version of iTunes, it sounds like it's corrupted. There are a couple of things you can try.

**BEFORE DOING ANY OF THESE STEPS BACK UP ALL YOUR ITUNES CONTENT**

1) Completely remove iTunes from your mac using the method described in this document: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1224. Then download and reinstall iTunes from the apple website. If that works, you're good.

2) If the above doesn't work, you can hold down the option key while clicking on the iTunes icon in the dock. You will get a dialogue box that asks if you want to open a library or create a new one. Choose to create a new one. Then add all your music back into iTunes (probably in the Music folder under iTunes Music). You will lose your playlists and play count information but your music will still be there.

Those are the two solutions i can think of, perhaps someone may have another.

4. ValerieGuiles thread starter macrumors newbie