iTunes won't make "Music" folder

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by agentphish, Oct 3, 2010.

1. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

So For some reason, on my mac mini, itunes will not make a "music" folder.

On my MacBook Pro, my music is in 'Users/(username)/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music' as it should be. The folder was created by iTunes.

On my Mac Mini however, and I don't know if this is the cause, I have my entire itunes on an external drive because I have 300+gb of music and even more Video content between Movies and TV shows.

I have my itunes library folder set to /Volumes/Space/iTunes/iTunes Media. "Space" is what i called my external. I have keep iTuned Media folder organized and Copy Files to iTunes Media folder checked as well.

When I drag music to iTunes, iTunes creates the folder for that artist or album in the top level folder. /Volumes/Space/iTunes/iTunes Media. It does not create a folder for the artist inside /Volumes/Space/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music like it would on my MacBook Pro. It did create the TV Shows and Movies folders within the iTunes Media folder, which is just adding to my confusion as to why it's not creating a Music folder.

Does anyone know why this might be, because it's a pain in the a** to have my movies and tv shows folders scattered within tons of folders of artist names.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

2. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Try changing the location on the mini so that it's one level deeper, ie., /Volumes/Space/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music.

3. agentphish thread starter macrumors 65816

agentphish

I just tried that, it didn't work. It just created a movies folder inside of /Volumes/Space/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music and said it was copying the movie over there when I tried to add a movie to my library.

This is really strange.

4. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

But you are manually setting a library since you're using a non-default location. If I understood correctly, you have a Music folder on the external but iTunes on the mini isn't using it correct? To have iTunes use it, it needs to be pointed to it, as it stands now, it's one level too high.

5. agentphish thread starter macrumors 65816

agentphish

Yes I am using it, certainly. Thats what i said.

"On my Mac Mini however, and I don't know if this is the cause, I have my entire itunes on an external drive because I have 300+gb of music and even more Video content between Movies and TV shows.

I have my itunes library folder set to /Volumes/Space/iTunes/iTunes Media. "Space" is what i called my external. I have keep iTuned Media folder organized and Copy Files to iTunes Media folder checked as well."

I even tried option-clicking iTunes and creating a whole new library file, which is on that external just in /Volumes/Space/iTunes/. Still doing the same thing.

6. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Maybe I'm not understanding this correctly, but what happens if you go to the Preferences/Advanced click the Change... button for iTunes Media folder location and select this as your location:

/Volumes/Space/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music

Will then import to the correct location?

7. agentphish thread starter macrumors 65816

agentphish

nope it keeps my music in that folder, but if i then try to import video, it creates a Movies or TV Shows folder within that music folder. it's the whole point of my post. I'm not sure where I'm going wrong.

I'm a very experienced user and this is just some quirky stuff. It's like i can not have the following folders:
    iTunes Media/Music
    iTunes Media/Movies
    iTunes Media/TV Shows

I can only seem to have:
    iTunes Media/Music/Movies
    iTunes Media/Music/TV Shows
    and have my Music in that same folder.

or

iTunes Media/Movies
    iTunes Media/TV Shows
    and my music with just be in /iTunes Media.

8. agentphish thread starter macrumors 65816

agentphish

So I decided to disable itunes media folder organization. click ok, quit itunes, relaunch itunes, then recheck the option. When I rechecked it, it fixed it so I now have iTunes Media/Music, iTunes Media/Movies, iTunes Media/TV Shows.

Excellent, but strange.

9. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Glad to hear that worked. I only use iTunes for music, and have been doing so since quite a few versions back so I don't even have a Media folder, I have just a Music folder. I didn't realize that there were a number of changes made in recent versions to deal with other media, but I found this article, iLounge.com: Transferring your iTunes Library that might be helpful for understanding how and why iTunes does things.

10. agentphish thread starter macrumors 65816

agentphish

yeah previously i only used it for music. I am currently in the process of converting all my movies/tv shows over to iTunes/iPad compatible mp4 files from the AVI's that I originally ripped from all my dvds. God it took me forever to rip them over the years and now it's taking forever to convert them too :)

All worth it for New AppleTV