iTunes Won't Open

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MLeepson, Jul 13, 2007.

1. MLeepson macrumors 6502

I opened iTunes as I usually do but, I got a dialogue box saying, "The iTunes Library file is locked, on a locked disk, or you do not have permission for this file."

I'm on the admin account and on 10.3.9.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Go to the iTunes folder (wherever you keep it) and Get Info on it from the File menu. Under the Ownership section, make sure you can Read & Write and that you're set as the Owner. Click Apply To Enclosed Items and see how it goes. I'm basing this off Tiger, but I don't think the Panther layout was all that different. :)

3. MLeepson thread starter macrumors 6502

I just tried doing that, and I got the same message when I tried to open iTunes. I think I may go to the store. I have serious problems with this computer.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Fair enough. If the store can't help you then maybe post your other problems too, to see if we can find a link and possible solution. :)

5. MLeepson thread starter macrumors 6502

The weirdest thing happened, I updated, my iTunes, I forgot to, and now it opens. But now I need a way to get Calculator.app back, I think the "genius" at the Apple store deleted it. (but I figured out about 5 days after)

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You could try extracting it from the OSX discs using Pacifist. Depending on how wrecked your system is, an Archive & Install might be quicker and easier. :)