iTunes wont play 6.9gb video, Quicktime will

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by knemonic, Mar 17, 2011.

1. knemonic, Mar 17, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2011

knemonic macrumors 6502a

Hello,

Is there a limit on how big or long a video in iTunes can be?

I have an m4v that is 6.9gb, about 11 hours and 26 minutes and it wont play. Also wont show a video bit rate or time in the Movies section.

I used Handbrake Apple TV 2 profile to encode, with large file size checked. I am using a mac, so no 4gb max on files here.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thank you.

2. knemonic thread starter macrumors 6502a

I edited the post, hoping to make it clearer. Really hoping to get some advice on this, cause I want to re-export it from Final Cut and re-encode it, but don't want to if this is a wast of time.

Anyone, Bueller.

3. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

There is no limit on the size of videos iTunes can play. I have one that's 7.09 GB in iTunes right now.

Unfortunately, if you've already checked the setting for large files, I'm not sure what the problem might be. I usually re-mux my stuff rather than convert, but from mkv to mp4, I've had a few re-muxes that I guess didn't "take" but re-doing it again worked.

4. knemonic thread starter macrumors 6502a

Alright, I will let Handbrake give it another shot. I thought is was odd it wouldn't play it, since it would work in Quicktime.

Will keep you posted, Thanks!

5. knemonic thread starter macrumors 6502a

So I had compressor do a version of it using its Apple TV profile and the file worked fine in iTunes. It ended up upconverting the video to HD but the blacks are really dark and bits of the video are really grainy now.

I wish there was a solution to this so I could get Handbrake to convert it, since I feel handbrake is the best h.264 encoder out there right now.

Any suggestions?