iTunes won't play anything at all?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Moria, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Moria macrumors regular

Had this problem a few times before but a restart of the PC would fix it...

When I go to play a song in iTunes (any song at all, and all the files are definitely there) it just won't play. The play/pause button will change to the pause symbol but nothing else will happen. The ticker-thing at the top which tells you what is playing will say that that song is on but the timer just stays at 0:00.

Currently running Windows 7 and the latest version of iTunes but this happened before when I was on Vista too. Seems to happen every time I open iTunes now...

2. ScootPatoot macrumors regular

This has happened to me and the only fix I have found is to re-tag all of your songs. I am in the middle of retagging them as we speak. Major PITA but at least it works now.

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

You could also try re-building your library. Back up your old one, delete it, then drag your .mp3 files (and others) back into iTunes.

4. ScootPatoot macrumors regular

Worth a shot...I tried when it happened to me and it didn't work. But that would be a much easier process then re-tagging all of your songs.

5. Moria thread starter macrumors regular

9000 songs, no chance I'm retagging them all. Will try rebuilding the library and see if that helps... If not, looks like I'm changing music player.

6. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

The only times I've had that happen (and there have been a few), it was to do with the audio driver - i run audio out through the Griffin iMic and unplugging and replugging the iMic fixed it every time

7. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Try this possible simple fix. If you aren't running QuickTime 7.6, update to it.

8. Moria thread starter macrumors regular

Was running that version of Quicktime already...

Think I've fixed it, was having a similar problem with VLC (although the video would play, just without audio).

Downloaded a file called ac3filter which is an audio decoder and everything has worked perfectly since.