Itunes won't put ripped CDs into playlists

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by avincent52, Nov 8, 2007.

1. avincent52 macrumors regular

My itunes is acting weird.
    When I'm ripping a CD, say Revolver, and I highlight all the songs as it's uploading, and try to move them into my Beatles playlist, I tunes makes it look like I've moved the tracks there, but when I look in the playlist, they're not there.
    I can go back to the Music folder after the fact and move the album from there with no problem. Except that it's a giant pain.
    I assumed this was some kind of weird compatibility problem when I was using my G4 iMac. But my brand spanking new MBP is doing the same thing.
    It allowed me to move a couple of albums, but then it reverted to the same problem as my G4.
    Is this a case of pilot error perhaps?
    best
    allen

2. gojaromeiginla macrumors member

This happens all the time. Literally. You need the complete file to work in a playlist. The stuff that you're dragging and dropping from the CD isn't gonna be the uploaded songs. It's gonna be the CD tracks. And once you take out the CD, there go the tracks. You then need to move those tracks in the playlist yourself. Essentially, you just have to wait until uploading is finished before you move tracks into playlists.

3. avincent52 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply, and I'm glad it's not just me.
    That said, it didn't used to be this way. With earlier versions of Itunes I could just drag the "inprogress" album to its intended playlist and when it was done ripping, there it was.
    What's weirder is that it allows me to do it sometimes, but not always, usually with the first couple of CDs and then not afterwards.
    If this is the way the new software works, then it's just plain worse. I'd gladly give up album art and cover flow to be able to get my albums where they belong more efficiently.
    thanks
    allen