itunes won't quit: finder icon in dock messed up

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mrklaw, Feb 20, 2008.

1. mrklaw macrumors 65816

Hi

Noticed a couple of things since upgrading to leopard (did upgrade rather than clean install)

1) when I select 'quit' from itunes, the window stays there. I can scroll around as if its active. Until I click the desktop outside of the itunes window, then it disappears.

2) my finder icon in the dock disappears when I select it. I have magnification on, and it only does it when it magifies. It also only does it when you get to around the centre third of the icon. So it'll blow up fine, and if you sneak up on it from the side it'll display ok, but when your mouse gets near the center (horizontally) - it just disappears. Launches ok, just the icon is invisible

photoshop elements has a similar issue, but that icon is corrupted when highlighted. You can see most of it, but a couple of horizontal bands are cut out of it.

any thoughts/solutions?

2. AndyK Contributor

AndyK

Do a clean install.

3. mrklaw thread starter macrumors 65816

1) is there an alternative to a clean install?
    2) how painful is a clean install to get back to where I am? I have a time machine backup of my leopard machine, and also a superduper image of my previous tiger installation before upgrading. can I migrate or similar from one of those?

Not too bothered about applications, can always reinstall. But email settings would be good to keep intact. I think I have .mac syncing those if thats any help

4. Animalk macrumors 6502

I am also experiencing problem #1 on your list. I am about to report the bug to apple and I recommend you do as well. I will wait for an iTunes update which will fix this.

I think people are throwing around the advice to "clean install" a bit too much. This is just itunes being a bit stubborn, this isn't anything serious. I would recommend to do as I am doing.

5. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

1. Apply the latest combo update for Mac OS X Leopard (10.5.2) from Apple.com. If you've already applied 10.5.2, it would be a good idea to try re-applying it.
    2. Run maintenance tasks and clear out cache files from ~/Library/Caches and /Library/Caches.
    3. Repair permissions on the machine using Disk Utility.

Worst case scenario, try trashing your com.apple.dock.plist and com.apple.itunes.plist files from ~/Library/Preferences and remove the iTunes folder from ~/Library/Application Support to reset iTunes and the Dock.