iTunes won't read ID3 tags??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dotdotdot, Aug 25, 2008.

1. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

I transfered my library from my Mac to my PC and this involved 60+ gigs of music. Well, about 10 GB of music appeared to have completely lost their ID3 tags. They were put into the Unknown Artist\Unknown Album folder when iTunes automatically organized my library. The problem is, when I navigate to this folder, Windows sees the ID3 tags of every single track there.

All the music is perfectly in order, with all the correct ID3 tags. But iTunes won't bother reading them. I even started a new library and imported JUST that folder and iTunes still wouldn't budge.

How do I get these 10 GBs of music to show the correct ID3 tags in iTunes??

2. dotdotdot thread starter macrumors 68020

Anyone?

I figured out something...

For example, 15 Step by Radiohead:

Windows explorer lists the file name as "01 15 Step.mp3"
    Playing this in Windows Media Player shows 15 Step by Radiohead from In Rainbows.
    Importing this file into iTunes SHOULD yield the same result as Windows Media Player but instead the Title field says 01 15 Step and the Artist, Album, etc. fields remain blank.

Anyone know how to fix this or correct this?

3. dotdotdot thread starter macrumors 68020

Anyone? I'll send someone one of the MP3s so they can figure out what's wrong with the file...

4. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Try selecting all the songs for a CD, right click and select Get Info. Fill in the Artist and Album Artist so they are the same. This has worked for me in the past.

5. dotdotdot thread starter macrumors 68020

Well there's 10 GB of assorted music, so that's really hard to do. Especially when they go like:

01 XXXX
    01 XXXX
    01 XXXX
    01 XXXX
    01 XXXX
    02 XXXX
    02 XXXX

and is completely out of order. Also, some albums are missing one song which is in this potpourri of untagged music.

6. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

How about if you go to the recently added playlist. Are the songs grouped by CD there?

7. dotdotdot thread starter macrumors 68020

Nope, the songs are grouped the same way there since I re-imported my entire library

8. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

9. dotdotdot thread starter macrumors 68020

I tried converting the tags. Didn't work.

The link you sent me basically had someone else with my exact same problem and it was never fixed. I guess iTunes for Windows can't read the tags that iTunes for Mac makes, which is pretty bad.

I got onto my Mac and, even though the songs are gone from it forever, was able to restore the library and export the library as Library.xml to the desktop. I'm hoping I can import this file and then everything will be fine.