iTunes Wont Start - The Required Folder Cannot be Found

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by adminkatana, Jun 26, 2011.

1. adminkatana macrumors newbie

Hi,

I just bought a new 2011 iMac, and now iTunes will not open, After clicking on the icon, the error message "The required folder cannot be found" appears, and a few seconds later the app quits.

I have not copied over anything to the Library yet, this is with the stock empty iTunes library.

I have an iMac with the SSD, I moved the Users Folder to the HDD using System Preferences, before the app quits I can see the program is pointing to the User/Music folder on the correct drive.

I have tried created a new library when starting by holding Shift on launch,

I have launched in Safe Mode with Command+Option on Launch,

I have reinstalled the Application,

Yet nothing seems to work, seems quite bizzare.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. moez macrumors regular

Check the folder permission for your iTunes library. In most likelihood, iTunes can not access the library folder!

3. adminkatana, Jun 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2011

adminkatana thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I've checked through all folders and the user 'me' has access to read & write on everything.

I am really stuck with this, I even went through my Library for any rouge preferences that might be causing an issue.

Its the fact that the whole program quits after a clean re-install?

EDIT: Ooh, Now the program stays open after you click 'ok' on the error message.

Still getting the error message each time though? Could there be another hidden permission?

4. saberahul macrumors 68040

I know on Windows you can hold down shift and open iTunes to choose where and which library you want. Maybe on Mac it's cmd (i'm still new). Anyways, it is possible it is hunting in the wrong area for the library and you can open it up like said above to manually find the location of your library.

5. adminkatana thread starter macrumors newbie