iTunes WONT stop crashing.

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
My iTunes is acting like a real jerk lately.

Everytime I play anything from my library, anywhere from 30 seconds to 5 minutes into it iTunes crashes.

Ive tried reinstalling it to no avail. I deleted all the files relating to iTunes and then reinstalled it.

I dont really know what to do anymore...going through music withdrawl.

Heres the crash log if anyone knows what any of this means.

[Note: I had to upload it to my server because it is to big to post here. So here is the link in RTF format. You can open it in TextEdit - http://www.staylazy.net/ituneslog.rtf ]

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Do you have any third-party Quicktime codec files installed in the Quicktime folder? Clean those out, reboot and try opening a new user account as mad jew commands. Try re-building your library by option-click the app in the Dock to build a new library.

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
Well Im trying as we speak without anything extra connected that I dont need.

But why would this suddenly happen? Ive never had this problem and have had both these devices connected for about 9 months now.

The problems all started when I added a song I downloaded to my Library. Ive thus removed the file from my hard drive but still am having problems.

For the record right now without the devices it has yet to crash, but again it happens at will so I will keep you updated.

Also, is there a way I can completely remove iTunes from my computer? I feel that its possible I missed some files last time I tried removing it.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
On a Mac, removing iTunes entails deleting the actual app from Applications, removing a few receipt packages from a folder named Receipts (use Spotlight to find iTunes and pkg), deleting the relevant music files and data files from the Music folder and deleting a few preference files from the Preferences folder (use Spotlight to find iTunes and plist). I'm pretty sure that's about it. :)

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
Crashed again. This is with the devices not connected.

I would try the process with another user - but Im not sure what that will solve. Is it going to make a difference for me if it crashes on one user account and not the other??

Let me know, thanks.

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
It seems to me that this problem stems deeper.

Everytime I reboot my computer the Bluetooth Assistant Manager pops up and tells me that it could not find a mouse or keyboard and that there was an error in the search. I have to disconnect and reconnect the bluetooth module.

The volume bar disappeared from my menu bar, I had to readd it from system preferences.

Videos from YouTube no longer have volume.

Matter of fact, looks like no flash media has volume.

As well as the iTunes crashing.

Whats going on here guys? I cant work like this.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
mrzeve said:
I would try the process with another user - but Im not sure what that will solve. Is it going to make a difference for me if it crashes on one user account and not the other??

Often problems stem from corrupt files in the Home Library (Preferences mainly) so making a new user gives you a default set of these files. If everything is normal in the new user then we can quite safely assume that the problem lies within the Home folder of the faulty user account. It doesn't necessarily mean you have to use this new user account and it can safely be removed afterwards, but it helps show where the problem might lie. :)

Cassie said:
I'm not sure 3g iPods work on itunes 7...

3G iPods work with iTunes 7, I know this for sure. I'm pretty sure even the original iPods work with iTunes 7. Downgrading iTunes is still a good proposition though. :cool:

mrzeve said:
Everytime I reboot my computer the Bluetooth Assistant Manager pops up and tells me that it could not find a mouse or keyboard and that there was an error in the search. I have to disconnect and reconnect the bluetooth module.

The volume bar disappeared from my menu bar, I had to readd it from system preferences.

Videos from YouTube no longer have volume.

Matter of fact, looks like no flash media has volume.

Okay, this changes things. Do you have third party RAM? If so, take it out and see how things go. Do you have at least 8GB of free space on your hard drive? Since you have Tiger, open up Disk Utility in the Utilities folder and verify your hard drive. Don't verify your hard drive permissions, but verify your actual hard drive. If there's an error, it won't let you repair it unless you either boot from the OSX discs and use the bundled version of Disk Utility there, or if you run fsck. :)

Aldyn

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2006
my itunes crashes constantly also. it's driving me crazyyyyyyyy. its been doing it since 7.1 and its anywhere from the first 10 seconds i play something up to about 5 minutes. its not specific song files or anything, its just itunes itself.

fjdklfjdsklfjdsfkl

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
Heres a thread I posted on the apple discussion forums

Hey all,

I've noticed that there are several threads with people experiencing the same problems that I have been having with iTunes 7 and its crashes.

Here are the steps Ive taken to fix this:

1. First, click preferences in iTunes and disable Sound Ehancer. Now quit iTunes.
2. Open Audio MIDI Setup which is located inside Applications/Utilities
3. In the Audio Output field change Format to 44100.0 Hz
4. Quit Audio MIDI Setup

Try iTunes now. This should fix your problems. Also, go to YouTube.com and watch any video. If it has sound your problem should be solved. If it does not solve your problems, continue.

5. Quit iTunes
6. Navigate to User/Library/Preferences

NOTE: THE FOLLOWING STEPS WILL DELETE YOUR ITUNES SETTINGS/PLAYLISTS/PLAY COUNT/ETC

7. Delete the file com.apple.iTunes.plist
8. Delete the file com.apple.iTunes.eq.plist
9. Reload iTunes
10. Again, go and disable the Sound Ehancer.

Now this should really solve all your problems at this point. If it doesnt...

11. See if you have any iTunes related Widgets running (PearLyrics, the iTunes Widget itself) and close them.
12. Delete any plugins and visualizations you may have downloaded.

These steps worked for me and I hope they work for you. Here were my symptoms before:

iTunes would crash at any random point of a song or before I even got around to playing it - now iTunes does not crash from song playback.
Any Flash embedded media with audio (ex: YouTube) would not output sound - now they do.
My volume meter in the menu bar disappeared.
Strange problems with Bluetooth - have not determined if this is fixed yet.

Hope this helps, and if anyone has any more suggestions please share!

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Some good tips there, but I just thought I'd clear some things up.

• The Audio MIDI Setup step relates to a bug in OSX whereby system-wide sounds are lost (not actual system sounds, but sounds from various apps). As far as I know, this bug doesn't cause any apps to crash but it can still be annoying. If you have Garageband installed, opening and then closing it will have the same effect as changing the Audio Output frequency.
  • Removing or renaming the iTunes preferences will lose your customised settings. However, it shouldn't affect playlists and playcounts because these are meant to be stored in the iTunes Library data file within the iTunes folder in the Music folder.

Now, what are the problems with Bluetooth and is your Volume Meter in the Menu Bar constantly disappearing or has it only happened once? :)

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
mad jew said:
Some good tips there, but I just thought I'd clear some things up.

• The Audio MIDI Setup step relates to a bug in OSX whereby system-wide sounds are lost (not actual system sounds, but sounds from various apps). As far as I know, this bug doesn't cause any apps to crash but it can still be annoying. If you have Garageband installed, opening and then closing it will have the same effect as changing the Audio Output frequency.
  • Removing or renaming the iTunes preferences will lose your customised settings. However, it shouldn't affect playlists and playcounts because these are meant to be stored in the iTunes Library data file within the iTunes folder in the Music folder.

Now, what are the problems with Bluetooth and is your Volume Meter in the Menu Bar constantly disappearing or has it only happened once? :)
Changing the MIDI settings has completely fixed my problem.

However, everytime I boot up my computer, my bluetooth preferences come up and tell me that a keyboard was not found. I have to unplug the bluetooth adapater from my computer and reconnect it.

This also requires me to reset the MIDI settings.

And the volume thing only happened once.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Cool. So you have a third party Bluetooth dongle? These are pretty notorious for playing badly with OSX. Does it have the latest drivers/firmware installed? :)

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
mad jew said:
Cool. So you have a third party Bluetooth dongle? These are pretty notorious for playing badly with OSX. Does it have the latest drivers/firmware installed? :)
Yeah everything is up to date.

Ive had this installed for over a year, never had a problem before. Sounds like some serious system problems on my end and OSX Unstability issues.

Also lately, sometimes when I select a menu or right click and see the menu there are dots all over the menu.

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
Was trying to get one in Grab but by the time I opened it up and reclicked the menu it was gone.

And more with the bluetooth: sometimes when I reconnect the module - the caps lock light stays on and I have to redo everything. Like right now my caps lock light is on and doesnt turn off.

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
More updates:

While the iTunes crash problem is completely gone, the others still exist.

I have to unplug the bluetooth module everytime I restart the computer.

Also, I am having trouble with printing as well. All my settings have basically gotten messed up and its printing in different formats for everything. Is there a way to DELETE ALL printer settings and printers on the computer and start from scratch? Like the presets and all that. If anyone knew this it would be great.

Also - I can no longer access my mac by its name from a pc. I used to be able to just hit start>run> on the pc and type in \\zevesmac but no longer works. I now have to type in 192.168.1.101 - this is annoying since my ips change very often since im usually moving hardware around on the network. What gives?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Have you tried removing and then re-adding the printers from the Print & Fax pane of System Preferences?

In the Network pane of System Preferences, do you have either the router's or the server's IP address in the DNS Servers list? :)

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
mad jew said:
Have you tried removing and then re-adding the printers from the Print & Fax pane of System Preferences?

In the Network pane of System Preferences, do you have either the router's or the server's IP address in the DNS Servers list? :)
Yep - tried that.

And in the pref pane I have my Ip address (192.168.1.101)
The router is set properly at 192.168.1.1
Subnet mask is 255.255.255.0
Dns Servers (Optional) is blank
As is search domains.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Okay, well find a file named com.apple.print.PrintingPrefs.plist and drag it to the Desktop before restarting. Then, enter 192.168.1.1 in the DNS Server (optional) field of the Network pane. Hopefully this'll help a bit.

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
Okay, well find a file named com.apple.print.PrintingPrefs.plist and drag it to the Desktop before restarting. Then, enter 192.168.1.1 in the DNS Server (optional) field of the Network pane. Hopefully this'll help a bit.
Deleting that file did the trick, but still having the problem with the network.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.